Software Update - 7 spd gearbox.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
It is not that simple,, it takes time taking info out and getting new info back in.

A blip is a nice word, the car could just wake up and a blip during this process could be enough to corrupt the ECU,, it can be impossible to reinstate it again to re program. You need mains powered back up when doing these jobs, a spike from a poor change over from the power station can kill it all.

We had the thread last night with the failed comand show error "failed up date"

And no most updates go through OK, but again as Peter said things can go wrong, the micro might just fail, there are no answers to it all.

OK that makes a bit more sense, i was taking the blip as a network drop rather than what you have said, i was going down a completly different direction.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OK that makes a bit more sense, i was taking the blip as a network drop rather than what you have said, i was going down a completly different direction.

Thanks

I had not even though about the network blip,,just goes to show how easy it is for the mind to get stuck in one direction :D

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I got a 56 plate E320 a few weeks ago and have just noticed the clunky gear changes at low speed! Can somebody tell me where I can get the software updated and how much it should cost?

I have read some people saying that some garages are not great at applying the software fix - I don't really understand why but can you recommend a good place?

Other than that, a great car.

Reuben

Sorry, this isn't ment to saound rude so sorry if it does but I would open a new thread regarding your issue as it does sound different to what is being discussed here. I'm sure someone may be able to point you in the way of a good indie near bristol or bath.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was thinking about this while having lunch out,,,I think that these box updates are in 2 parts. Software changes alter the way the box changes I would think, dealing with the jolting I would imagine that the only way to start setting the torque converter would be to lock it up and work back from that, the computer may do that,,I just do not know, maybe someone who knows can enlighten us

R

Rodger

Just as a sort of aside on this. Very recently i had my 7G gearbox serviced, wasn't cheap by any means but the mechanic said they re-set the box as part of that process and it'll have to re-learn and adapt to my driving style again.

I know a simple re-set to factory spec is probably the most basic software thing but that and probably more likely the service itself does seem to have made a considerable improvement to the box's operation. Nearly as good as a used ZF 6 speed now :)

I'm a little confused though. My manaul says to service the box once and once only at 60,000 km's and never again, regardless of time. My car has only done 44,000 km's but as its 5 1/2 years old and i know the ZF in my other car is service every six years I decided to change the oil and filter out early. The dealer said the box should be serviced every 5 years or 60,000 km's as the oil gets old and doesn't do its job properly and this is broadly consistent with ZF's servicing policy but at a considerable digression to what the car's manual says ???

I wonder how many people are running around with oil older than 6 years old in their Merc's gearbox and whether this might be contributing to their less than stellar enjoyment ?

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On my 2007 car the 7g fluid is changed at 37k miles and it was done at the 36k mile service, I must check to see if another is in the book,,,, your dealer is wrong with 60k miles, 60k km then yes as that is the same as 37k mile

R

Rodger

On my 2007 car the 7g fluid is changed at 37k miles and it was done at the 36k mile service, I must check to see if another is in the book,,,, your dealer is wrong with 60k miles, 60k km then yes as that is the same as 37k mile

Just to clarify, yeah my dealer says every 5 years or 60,000 km's = 37,000 miles but the manual never mentions a time limit and some people don't do all that much mileage which could mean there's potentially a Merc owner with a 7G box out there from when the box first came out in 2004 ? still on the original oil and filter in their gearbox...which can't be good surely ?

As for the service it once and never again suggestion in the car's manual...I just don't see how that can be good for the box's longevity so i'll definitly be servicing mine every 5 years.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to clarify, yeah my dealer says every 5 years or 60,000 km's = 37,000 miles but the manual never mentions a time limit and some people don't do all that much mileage which could mean there's potentially a Merc owner with a 7G box out there from when the box first came out in 2004 ? still on the original oil and filter in their gearbox...which can't be good surely ?

As for the service it once and never again suggestion in the car's manual...I just don't see how that can be good for the box's longevity so i'll definitly be servicing mine every 5 years.

Very hard to work out Mercedes logic in this, it was the same on the older 722.6 box, only cars on assist got the fluid changed once at 37k miles, the others never did. Those of us on mot Mercedes forums know the advantage of changing the fluid, so we do.

R

Rodger

Very hard to work out Mercedes logic in this, it was the same on the older 722.6 box, only cars on assist got the fluid changed once at 37k miles, the others never did. Those of us on mot Mercedes forums know the advantage of changing the fluid, so we do.

Interestingly ZF take it one step further now with their 8 Speed ZF and claim the box is filled for life and doesn't ever need servicing !!
I guess it depends on one's perspective of what's the life of a car ?, if one expects their car to last more than say 100,000 miles then clearly this filled for life, or service once at 37,000 miles and never again business is complete nonsense.

Perhaps I could suggest "tongue-in-cheek" that it appears there's more profit in selling replacement gearbox's or overhaul kits than there is in selling gearbox fluid and filters :)

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interestingly ZF take it one step further now with their 8 Speed ZF and claim the box is filled for life and doesn't ever need servicing !!
I guess it depends on one's perspective of what's the life of a car ?, if one expects their car to last more than say 100,000 miles then clearly this filled for life, or service once at 37,000 miles and never again business is complete nonsense.

Perhaps I could suggest "tongue-in-cheek" that it appears there's more profit in selling replacement gearbox's or overhaul kits than there is in selling gearbox fluid and filters :)

I would say its an excellent means of taking your hard earnt cash :shock::shock:

I have thought that so many times, it does not make sense at all from an engineering point of view

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I got a 56 plate E320 a few weeks ago and have just noticed the clunky gear changes at low speed! Can somebody tell me where I can get the software updated and how much it should cost?

I have read some people saying that some garages are not great at applying the software fix - I don't really understand why but can you recommend a good place?

Other than that, a great car.

Reuben

I had mine updated at the Southampton main dealer (junction 5 off the M27) who I have used a lot and always found to be good. Talk to Steve Chivers (service manager). They have a brilliant diagnostic technician too- Stewart Webb.

The update from September 2011 completely cured the jerky changes problem on my ML350cdi. No charge if done when servicing.

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
Hi i was lucky to be in at the launch of the 7g many years back, and even though i dont like the filling of the gear box oil from under the car,i still like this gear box. i was on the up date course recently and main problem with gear change can be solved with re adaptation useing star, but you must be able to understand the values shown in star. ie, clutch pack fill times etc.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom