1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soggy suspension ml270cdi w163

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by seagrin, Apr 27, 2011.

1. seagrin

seagrin New Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270CDI 2003
    hi guys! i dive my trusty ml270 over speedbumps at a slow speed and the suspension bottoms out. the car is more like a boat in that regard. i also take my family camping and fishing and over some very soft powder sand. seriously at first it surprised me at how good it was! i just need to lift the vehicle 2 inches for more clearance. can i just change the shocks to prevent bottoming out and have the torsion bars wound up a notch or two to give me added clearance? or is this simply a whole suspension rebuild?
    cheers

2. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Currently 2003 ML270. 2012 Nissan Maxima 250SL.
    Firstly, welcome to another Queenslander.
    Your suspension wallowing can only be fixed with decent shockers - Bilstein are the goods. The standard KYB's are absolute rubbish.
    Soft sand driving must be done with ESP disengaged and preferably with about 15 psi in the tyres.
    Height - full torsion bar windup will not give you 2 inches - depending where it is set, you might get another 10mm at most. Suggest you don't go down the extra height path really. The ML is a bit "wobbly" side to side even at standard height. Extra height will add to the instability. Might be good on sand but a lot worse in normal driving. If you do wind up the torsion bars, you will need to realign the front suspension. I run mine at max height with no issues.
    Cheers mate.

3. Renaissance

Renaissance Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2001/5.0 E-Class E240 Estate 2003
    I yesterday agreed a price to purchase a 2003 ML 350 to go with my S-Class. It would appear that reading through the forum the biggest issue is suspension. I have done some research in to this and Bilstein do spring and shock replacements, not cheap though! Question, the springs reduce the ride height by about 35mm, how does this effect the ride and would I need to inform my insurance company?

4. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Why would you want to reduce the height of the suspension? It will make the ride harder and bottom more easily. Keep the original springs and upgrade the shockers for a good, well controlled ride.
    Can't think of a reason why an insurance company would want to know you have improved the ride and handling of your vehicle. You have just made it safer...

5. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    if you lower it, the insurance WILL want to know. improved shock absorbers, they wont be bothered about, as you will, essentially, be replacing a worn item with an equivalent (but improved) item from an alternative manufacturer

6. OP
    seagrin

seagrin New Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270CDI 2003
    thankyou Oigle, Turbopete

Oigle, i have been on the phone to Pedders Southport - yes Bilstiens are the way to go, winding uo the front torsion bars a yes and also replacing the rear springs with a heavy duty model! yours for just...sit down....$2600! (includes all adjustments, alignment etc)
    combine that with a new set of Cooper A/T's all round and i think i will have a car that is good anywhere. thanks also for the ESP tip. i have never turned it off - but have seen the dash indicator light come on and off quite regularly whilst in the sand.
    cheers
    fellow queenslander!
    Go the Gold Coast Suns!

7. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    That sure cost plenty. Pedders aren't exactly the cheapest in the business - have had a few rough calls lately. Heavy rears will make ride rougher and maybe make the car look a bit nose down??
    Yes, ESP off and low pressure will make a huge difference.
    In Spain at the moment. Just got my internet organised. Here for about 4 weeks.
    Cheers.

8. soup nazi

soup nazi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270 CDI
    Hey Oigle
    Which model bilstiens did you use? What was the difference in the ride? The fronts at least look real easy to change, probably an hour or so.

9. oigle

oigle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Sydney Shockabsorbers only stock one version as far as I know. Difference in ride and handling unbelievable. Just great. About 5 or 6 hours to change the rears as a DIY the first time. Can get down to about 3 after some practice!!!! Need VERY good spring compressors.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  10. soup nazi

soup nazi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270 CDI
    Ok that being the case I will get the rears done but the fronts are simple and straight forward unless there's some problem I can't see.

Thanks for the info.

11. ianstaley

ianstaley Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270CDi 2001.
    Oem Bilsteins are type B4