Sourcing the correct Oil for the Eaton M45 Supercharger

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
I have posted this because for some time now I have been hunting around for an EU supplier of the recommended oil for the Eaton M45 Supercharger as used on the MB C and CLK class cars here in Europe.

Oddly (for me at least) I have recently located a source (online) at a UK Mini Cooper parts website:

http://www.minimaniauk.co.uk/web/Item/NME7250/InvDetail.cfm

Mini??....... but hey! I am assuming an Eaton M45 Supercharger oil requirement is the same no matter what vehicle it is fitted to.

The Eaton M45 Supercharger uses a 'lifetime' fluid. This oil is designed to last 100K miles, but any loss of fluid by leaks or other factors can lead to supercharger failure requiring replacement of the supercharger unit. There have been some reports of higher mileage Cooper S supercharger failing due to the loss of this fluid. If you have access to your supercharger due to other work being done on your supercharger, CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL and top it off. This oil is the one recommended by Eaton. 2 BOTTLES required for complete oil change

minimaniauk.co.uk are asking £12.99 per 4Oz bottle.
£15.26 with VAT

Mini Mania, Ltd.
The Acorn Centre, Unit 3 Station Rd.
Ampthill, Beds MK45 2QP

Tel: (01) 525-841-733
Fax: (01) 525-841-769

Price wise I came across (on-line) that in Canada:

* Supercharger Oil Price at MB Dealer 70$ CAD
* A/C Delco Oil about 8$ CAD
(quantities not mentioned and I have no idea of UK/EU price)

So, the UK price being quoted by these people appears to be between the two.... unless anyone else has a more competitively priced source?

Now I'm going to ask them if they will ship to Portugal :???:

jimsinessex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W209 CLK 320CDI Coupe
Well done James, that's a very elusive bit of info. I spent many hours on here trying to track down that very oil spec without luck.
The best I could do was an American website that would recondition the Eaton Kompressor.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why do you need the oil. Have you signs of a leak or are you doing a routine check of the oil level 'cos quite a bit of stripping down is required to get access to the level plug (on the RH drive car anyway)?

Jim

Last edited:
OP
jamesmc

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Hi Jim

No Kompressor oil leaks at all.... just one of those preventative maintenance things that I had in mind but needed to track down this rare (it seems) fluid.

The reason behind it is that I have every intention of hanging on to the car. It'll never suffer form rust down here... so as long as I keep up on maintenance it should roll for many years to come yet.

Actually I emailed the company and asked how much to ship two bottles to Portugal.... they didn't reply :(

I'll call them and have a wee chat.

OP
jamesmc

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Update. Just phoned them (Tel: (01) 525-841-733) and they will ship to Portugal.
So ordered a couple of bottles. Paid by credit card.
The guy even said he would try and get them in the post today - 10/10 for that.

Z

z_a_p

Hi James,
have you done it finally?
I am planning to do on my w210 2.0 kompressor...

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I would highly recommend catching and measuring the volume of fluid drained [ assuming no leaks?] to get an idea of how much new to add -unless there's some reservoir/dipstick arrangement- as often draining is incomplete. Might also be worth running the charger for a time get everything warm before draining. as always too much lubrication can be as bad as not enough.

Last edited:
Z

z_a_p

Hey Grober,

All the threads about this oil replace I have read say you should simple fill till the drain hole level, until it starts to leak out

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Fullproof method then so no worries.:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom