spare key not starting car

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
Hi guys, I have a 2002 W210 E320 CDI, my every day key fob works fine but got a bit of fright over the weekend when I couldn't find it and dug out the spare key only to find that it would only open the car but when put in the ignition there was no "zip" noise. TG I found my working key so problem averted for now.
I would like to get the spare key fixed, I see people are offering services on ebay but it would seem to be just for cracked cases and broken buttons. I also seen in some of the posts regarding keys that "Television" has fixed them in the past. I don't have the option to PM someone so I wonder if "television" is reading this could he let me know if this can be repaired and if so does he still do it. Otherwise an alternative solution.

Thanks in advance.
PS I'm based in Ireland

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the car locks with that remote and just will not start it then I should be able to fix it, not that cheap as I have to buy a key from Ebay to get the coil

OP
J

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
Hi Television, can you PM me and let me know how much and payment options. Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
J

jgleeson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI W210 estate 2002
Got the PM but I dont have an option to send a replay can you PM me your email address and we can share details "offline"

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Got the PM but I dont have an option to send a replay can you PM me your email address and we can share details "offline"

will so, I did put the address in the PM sent this morning

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
If it were me I would replace the battery before embarking upon ''surgery''. I say this because a pal had a very similar experience......a new battery is an easy fix.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it were me I would replace the battery before embarking upon ''surgery''. I say this because a pal had a very similar experience......a new battery is an easy fix.

Mic

The battery is not needed Mic to start the car, the key is powered from the induction coil on the EIS lock once inserted.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
The battery is not needed Mic to start the car, the key is powered from the induction coil on the EIS lock once inserted.

I bow to your greater in depth knowledge.....but what I do know is that a pal (it is an R129) inadvertently picked up the long time not used spare key that his wife kept in the event of his key being lost or mislaid or whatever. The spare key accessed the car......ah...... remember now.....the low battery on the spare key caused the alarm to be triggered meaning the key was not wholly recognised and therefore in turn would not start the car.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bow to your greater in depth knowledge.....but what I do know is that a pal (it is an R129) inadvertently picked up the long time not used spare key that his wife kept in the event of his key being lost or mislaid or whatever. The spare key accessed the car......ah...... remember now.....the low battery on the spare key caused the alarm to be triggered meaning the key was not wholly recognised and therefore in turn would not start the car.

Mic

The 129 has never had a EIS system Mic and they use a DAS flip out metal key, and yes if the batteries in these keys are low, when unlocking the mirror will often blink the red led as a warning as the mobilizer is not un setting, and the batteries are low.

Your black plastic EIS key is not the same, and you could take the batteries out of the key and it should still start, providing the car is unlocked.

Top Bottom