Spare parts on older cars

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Try Googling that.

Even if it was correct, German Civil Law Code is a civil (contract) law thing. It's not like you can call 999 when your local dealer shrugs and says they can't get a part.

The link posted above is a discussion document on REACH, which is about the use of hazardous substances!
It's still legally binding.
Even in this country you couldn't call 999 if it were an act of parliament that enforced it as it's not a criminal act.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Exactly. So to the point of the original post, there's nothing the man in the street can do if a manufacturer says parts are unavailable.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Exactly. So to the point of the original post, there's nothing the man in the street can do if a manufacturer says parts are unavailable.
Yes there is. Trading standards. Take them to court yourself.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
So that's a 'no' then.
It’s a “yes”. Don’t be obtuse. They’re a German based multinational subject to German law for product assembled in Germany. German law states that they must maintain 10 years parts availability. There’s a US Federal law saying the same thing for product assembled in the US if I could be bothered to go look for it. Others have posted links to the legislation applicable here.

The 3 British carmakers I’ve worked for have all operated a very strict ten-year policy, to the point of making all-time-buys of obsolete electronic components to ensure that the ten year rule could be proven to the DoT. One case involved the purchase of 24 million LEDs from Philips that had already gone out of production, to be kept in stock for headlamp units on a well known crossover SUV. That was by no means a rare occurrence.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Try Googling that.

Even if it was correct, German Civil Law Code is a civil (contract) law thing. It's not like you can call 999 when your local dealer shrugs and says they can't get a part.

The link posted above is a discussion document on REACH, which is about the use of hazardous substances!
Of course it’s a contract law thing. It isn’t going to be criminal is it? You can’t call 999 and expect a police response when your plumber doesn’t adequately repair your boiler either.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
German law states that they must maintain 10 years parts availability. There’s a US Federal law saying the same thing for product assembled in the US if I could be bothered to go look for it.

You keep saying that, and I'm sure there are contractural agreements, codes of practice etc etc, but there's no actual law that says parts must be available for 10 years, either in the UK or the US (the US one is commonly written in US car forums, but it's not true).

It's like the "3 month mandatory warranty on used cars" that people state as if it's an absolute fact - when it's not.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You keep saying that, and I'm sure there are contractural agreements, codes of practice etc etc, but there's no actual law that says parts must be available for 10 years, either in the UK or the US (the US one is commonly written in US car forums, but it's not true).

It's like the "3 month mandatory warranty on used cars" that people state as if it's an absolute fact - when it's not.
You're right. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 doesn't say 3 months - it says six months unless the seller can prove the fault was not present at the time of sale.

OP
CrustyClam

CrustyClam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
Well I had a browse on eBay today and I am sure the number of M156 engines is growing. (varied price range to). So maybe there comes a point when second hand parts can maintain the running ones.

Just not many used specific engine parts. I do wonder if a good priced second hand running engine could be stripped down and more money made for specific parts.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom