Spark Plug Tool

seanspeed

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 1999
Hi All

My name is Sean and I'm new to the forum, I'm a life long Mercedes enthusiast, and have a 1999 CLK 320.

where can I buy the tool use to remove and install spark plugs for the W208 320? I believe there is a special tool as the access is limited.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

Richard Hinds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350, 2007
There is a really good write-up on how to change the 12 spark plugs somewhere on this forum! I found it most helpful when I first changed my plugs.
I couldn't get hold of the Mercedes tool, so I bought a very small 3/8 drive rachet (with a stubby end) and a universal joint, both from Halfords. (Also the suggested lubricating spray for the rubber spark plug caps). All worked fine in the confines of an SLK 320 engine bay.

The universal joint spaced the rachet out just the right amount-shorter than the shortest extension bar.

Hope this helps.

SteveX

Reaction score
I just used a 17mm spanner, it does take a bit of playing around with though to get the right angles. The only things you should need to remove are the engine cover, top of the air box, the intake pipe and MAF.

Just make sure you undo the coil packs first and work your way front to back - the more you free up the more room you have, the back two are by far the worst to try and get on to.

I also just used my 1/4" drive set with a plug spanner, nice and short but just long enough to clear the block and twist.

It's by no means a quick job so plan an evening to have a go at it (and a few scraped knuckles!).

Just remember when putting the leads back on, that you must press the tubes back on with the 17mm spanner over the edge to clip them back on, don't just press them on by hand - they have to lock on.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom