Spasmodic power loss

Johnmccormack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211, E270CDI Avantgarde, 2003
W211, 2003 E270CDI. Normal driving the car frequently seems to lose power eg today, flat road power went, floored throttle at just under 1200rpm and 40 mpg, it took 25 seconds to reach 1550 rpm and 52 mph. Ten minutes later it suddenly worked perfectly, floored throttle and it leapt forward.
(Flooring throttle is not normal practice, only when this problem occurs).
Has anyone any experience of this, or can make an educated guess?
Many thanks.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Boost leak ?

OP
J

Johnmccormack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Boost leak ?
Que?
Sorry Taffy, Being completely non tech or mech I'm afraid I don't understand ( I do get the concept of a leak but the where / how / why of "boost" in the context of the problem eludes me.......a bit more context / detail might help if you'd be kind enough? hanks

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Hi John, compressed air, (also known as boost or charge pressure) being produced by the turbocharger can sometimes leak out through splits or breaks in the pipework between the turbo and the inlet manifold, it is a fairly common problem and can produce symptoms similar to yours although... as above there are various other possibilities.

OP
J

Johnmccormack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi John, compressed air, (also known as boost or charge pressure) being produced by the turbocharger can sometimes leak out through splits or breaks in the pipework between the turbo and the inlet manifold, it is a fairly common problem and can produce symptoms similar to yours although... as above there are various other possibilities.

OP
J

Johnmccormack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Taffy and Bembo, many thanks for your comments, sorry it's taken so long to reply but i'm waiting to see one of my son's mates to decipher the acronyms !! EML, EGR, MAP, MAF....unfortunately that could be Klingon for all I know. I'll bounce them off him and when I understand (?) i'll try coming back......hope you have the patience! Thanks again

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom