Specifically a SL350 R230 - 2006 vs 2009 ish

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have paid a deposit on a tenorite grey 09 SL350, 49k miles, 10 services, panoramic roof, digital sources, 19" alloys, black interior. Should be ready in 5 days.
Will certainly be looking for a local indy to look after it and if not then main dealer. I like my cars to be survivors and those that do I like to have a faultless history record because as the cars age more the better the history the better it sets them apart. Shame my old 911 got written off by the new owner, I was the 3rd and had nearly £50k of receipts for it.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Be interesting to see what you think of the ride on 19”s

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
SL350.png

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
NJS5, will certainly look for an indy.

NJS5/Blobcat...hmmm 19s ride quality? A friend just collected a E450 cabriolet last weekend, on Monday he didn't make to our meet up because he had a cracked alloy, and from reading up on this it seems common for Merc and BMW especially when the wheels are 19s. I didn't notice anything too untoward during the test drive, but living with it day to day might tell a different story.
The same discussion around the quality of the ride existed on my 911 and to be honest I changed the 18s for 19s on that and was always OK with it. Perhaps the SL is worse.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
NJS5, will certainly look for an indy.

NJS5/Blobcat...hmmm 19s ride quality? A friend just collected a E450 cabriolet last weekend, on Monday he didn't make to our meet up because he had a cracked alloy, and from reading up on this it seems common for Merc and BMW especially when the wheels are 19s. I didn't notice anything too untoward during the test drive, but living with it day to day might tell a different story.
The same discussion around the quality of the ride existed on my 911 and to be honest I changed the 18s for 19s on that and was always OK with it. Perhaps the SL is worse.
A 911 is a very different beast (I have one on 19’s…)

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
A 911 is a very different beast (I have one on 19’s…)
OK, stop being cryptic ;-) spill the beans..Is the SL worse on 19s than a 911 (997) then ? What is it you and NJS5 are alluding to?

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
My SL came with 19" wheels. I friend kindly lent me a set of 18" wheels for a few days, after that experience I decided to go for 17" with the same tyre size all round - 255 45 17.

I'm very happy with this choice but I accept that others have different opinions.

Thread here on this topic

NJSS

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My twopenneth on 19in wheels - unless you have wishbone based suspension they aren’t very suited to our roads. My son’s W213 handles 20in alloys very well but it’s not McPherson strut suspension MB have moved back to the much better wishbone set-up. I’m running 19in wheels on a BMW 4 series (again McPherson strut) and the car feels very unsettled on some of our road surfaces there isn’t enough sidewall for the tyre to remain compliant with the road surface.
What was particularly interesting to me was the BMW dealer had set-up shop on some of the best roads in the area when I tested the car - much better to test a car for half a day and run it on some of our third world roads to get a true impression.

Last edited:
OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Thanks both, I didn't notice much to be concerned about during the test drive, but maybe after a few months I might go the same way and end up on 18s or 17s.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, stop being cryptic ;-) spill the beans..Is the SL worse on 19s than a 911 (997) then ? What is it you and NJS5 are alluding to?
Not being cryptic, the SL isn't a sports car like a 911 is. Airmatic as fitted to the 500's can deal with the carp roads and huge wheels and still give a very pleasant ride. The normal suspension, whilst much easier isn't great with huge wheels - leading to a poor ride and broken alloys

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
My SL is on 19" wheels and is ok on our roads (ABC suspension). My Audi S5 has no problems on 19s either. My previous ML's had 19" and 20" wheels which were OK too. I think my secret is that I dont drive into potholes.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
My SL is on 19" wheels and is ok on our roads (ABC suspension). My Audi S5 has no problems on 19s either. My previous ML's had 19" and 20" wheels which were OK too. I think my secret is that I dont drive into potholes.
Anyone following me on potholey roads would think I was drunk or having terrors!!!
Only hit one so far!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I was on a road I didn’t know last week and hit a big pothole, my fns alloy (18’s) took the hit and is now out of shape, not cracked thankfully but certainly no longer round

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Not being cryptic, the SL isn't a sports car like a 911 is. Airmatic as fitted to the 500's can deal with the carp roads and huge wheels and still give a very pleasant ride. The normal suspension, whilst much easier isn't great with huge wheels - leading to a poor ride and broken alloys
:) No, I know it is not a sports car and to be honest I was absolutely OK with my PASM* 911 on 19's so was expecting the SL to be fine with me and as mentioned I didnt notice anything on the test drive. "Poor ride and broken alloys" - Drat, I sincerely hope not and will be like V6Matty and Stuart, and will be driving around pot holes.

* For the benefit of others - PASM (just electronically adjustable suspension)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:) No, I know it is not a sports car and to be honest I was absolutely OK with my PASM* 911 on 19's so was expecting the SL to be fine with me and as mentioned I didnt notice anything on the test drive. "Poor ride and broken alloys" - Drat, I sincerely hope not and will be like V6Matty and Stuart, and will be driving around pot holes.

* For the benefit of others - PASM (just electronically adjustable suspension)
One important point is don't straddle the cushion type traffic calming measures.

The reason is that when you do, all the weight is focused on the unsupported inside edge of the alloy. It can also cause really bad wear and splitting on the inside of edge of the tyres - which is really difficult to see.

Much better (but slower) is to put one wheel through the gap and the other over the middle of the bump

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
One important point is don't straddle the cushion type traffic calming measures.

The reason is that when you do, all the weight is focused on the unsupported inside edge of the alloy. It can also cause really bad wear and splitting on the inside of edge of the tyres - which is really difficult to see.

Much better (but slower) is to put one wheel through the gap and the other over the middle of the bump

Good grief, you know, I had never considered that, but it does make sense. Thanks, great great tip but it is going to make them even more annoying.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good grief, you know, I had never considered that, but it does make sense. Thanks, great great tip but it is going to make them even more annoying.
I even do that on my 16"s on my SLK... there's a reason you see lots of cracks on the inside edge - with wide wheels it's a long way from the supporting spokes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Also, the steering set up on a Merc makes it more vulnerable to splay-out issues caused by straddling those road humps. One wheel on, one wheel off does force you to slow down but prevents damage.

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
I might suspect you two are having a giggle at my expense thinking about me inching over endless speed bumps, but seriously, thanks. I will take this onboard.
The only time I have ever heard of cracked alloys before this week, was when discussing cheap imported after market wheels on another forum. I had no idea it was such a common thing.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I might suspect you two are having a giggle at my expense thinking about me inching over endless speed bumps, but seriously, thanks. I will take this onboard.
The only time I have ever heard of cracked alloys before this week, was when discussing cheap imported after market wheels on another forum. I had no idea it was such a common thing.
I ovalled out two alloys (one of which cracked) hitting an unseen pothole in heavy rain at 20mph. Also burst both tyres- left hand side wheels. That was in my 65 plate E Class.

Being dead serious, I hit speed bumps one wheel on, one wheel in the middle at no more than 15mph and I really don’t care that I’m slowing everyone behind me down. They don’t pay my repair bills!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom