Speed camera POI on Command Sat Nav

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
The unit has a lazer sensor as well, though I cant say for sure if that works as havent passed a camera van yet.

I'm pretty certain that the lazer dectector is illegal for use in this country. The rules were changed a couple of years ago. Only passive warning devices i.e. gps are legal.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I'm pretty certain that the lazer dectector is illegal for use in this country. The rules were changed a couple of years ago. Only passive warning devices i.e. gps are legal.

Unless you have a garage door opener :D:D

OP
Neil H

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164

I think Jammers were the things they went after. There is some talk of detectors being looked at too but at the moment it seems legal. Frankly I doubt that the detector on this unit is any good anyway, not that that will be admissable as evidence I'm sure.
Am I the only one who gets an urge to smash into the camera vans when you see them? Imagine the look on their face as 2 tonnes of SUV makes it way through the first 6ft of transit! Sorry, I know thats a bit sick, I just think they are sneaky sods, you always see them at speed limit boundaries, never at real black spots. Revenue generating technology!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am going to have troubles now with the new CL, in other car Lilian complains at anything over 30mph,,, I took her out in this new to us car and at 60 on a B road never said a thing.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Just wait until they introduce Telematics .. it will practically obliterate the Road Angel market overnight..
Telematics is a system ..basically a black box ..that records everything from start up ..including little knocks and scrapes and automatically feeds all data to the relevant bodies..ie police.insurance companies etc..

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I agree about the Comand Unit......I have had an Origin B2 hard wired into the SL from new which is excellent but it would be better if the ''camera'' data was neatly incorporated into the Comand unit. Consequently, and also because my Comand unit is ''old hat'' already, I am contemplating putting in an Alpine INA-W910R.
It will change the look of the console so I am very reticent to do this but sometimes the driving force has to be function over form.
Still thinking though.

Mic

I have an "obsolete" Road Angel that is not hard wired but lasts 8 hrs on a full battery charge and turns itself off to conserve the battery when stationary. Its form looks good with the SL dash so Ive kept it for some years in spite of its old technology.It can also be removed from the car for Johnny Foreigner trips!
I will consider changing to a new Comand substitute ( alpine?) when FM radio stops. The convergence of 2 technology requirements will be the motivator.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Shame all car makers don't have a Garmin dock -say, similar to i-pod docks. Having tried most, including COMAND I think Garmin is much the best. The static and mobile police camera info costs only £29-99 per year and can be updated regularly on-line via your home computer. And they now offer free map updates for life on many models (cf over £200 for COMAND).

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
IMHO all one needs is a notification of the speed limit for the current position/road.

Speed camera info can always be construed as subverting justice?

If manufacturers provided a GPS based speed limit warning, it would be seen as a aide as opposed to a camera database as a means to avoid detection?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
IMHO all one needs is a notification of the speed limit for the current position/road.

Speed camera info can always be construed as subverting justice?

If manufacturers provided a GPS based speed limit warning, it would be seen as a aide as opposed to a camera database as a means to avoid detection?

Yes the speed limit for the road you are on is very nice, if you keep within that there is no way a mobile outfit can catch you.

The Talex that I use is so small that you do not notice it

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom