1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding in France warning! Roll On Brexit!

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by rf065, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
    It was awful, the aircon was just as bad, in the end we had all the windows open for 2 hours as we drove to Marseille.

rorywquin likes this.
  2. Rappey69

Rappey69 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    c220 w204 amg sport
    I got collared for a few driving offences in Perugia, Italy in a hired smart car (cant have been for speeding then?)
    Sixt were more than happy to pass on my details and charge me for the privilege !
    It was a year after the alleged offences I got a notification wanting quite a lot of money and if not paid within a certain time frame would then double.
    I could appeal but it had to be written in Italian??
    I googled and found out the timeframe for Italians at that time for being notified/prosecuted was 6 months.
    Italy has been fined by the EU many times for doing this so I chose to not pay.
    The uk timeframe for notification I believe is 2 weeks!
    Whatever the timeframe for notification for intended prosecution is for a country applies to visitors as well.

3. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto

well he upped the tax on fuel,then offered a way to improve fuel ecconomy. typical france.

Capra likes this.
  4. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLK200K, FJR 1300
    I have triggered several speed cameras in Germany, nothing from them.

5. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    Me 3...

sonic likes this.
  6. grayb

grayb Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI (S212) 2010
    We've had a ticket from Germany from a camera - in a hire car so they could trace us. Several years ago now. Didn't pay it (was all in German) but still get nervous when driving in Germany...

7. sonic

sonic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI, SLK200K, FJR 1300
    Got caught once at a manned site but not stopped. I was in a hire car, but fortunately hired the car in Switzerland. Never had anything in the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. OP
    rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Maybe having a sense of humour would help?
    The point of the post is to warn others, the brexit thing was just a laugh!

Wighty likes this.
  9. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto
    this all seems to be going from state into private collection so we can probably rely on capitalism to overcome border issues with state approvals and states benefiting with little or no outlay ... whats new ?

10. DanR200

DanR200 Member

Your Mercedes:
    S213 2019 E220D
    The agreement has been in place for a few years to allow tracing and issuing European speed fines. Unfortunately they have just unblocked the channels of communication. Think theres still an issue with Points. A few I know are now getting French speed tickets from 2017 & 18 to their uk address. And Le Mans 24 does wonders for their target quotas. I think an aston has the current record for highest speed clocked.
    Oh, speaking of french penalties. remember to get your windscreen sticker for clean air before entering certain cities.
    https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu

11. DanR200

DanR200 Member

Your Mercedes:
    S213 2019 E220D
    Garmin says "Dangerous Zone" which has an area slightly larger than the original speed camera warning area.
    Don't forget the yellow vest in the car, the spare bulbs, the breath analysers, the triangle, sun cream and little man with the red flag.
    More sinister is the speed average cameras that seem to be spreading at an alarming rate.

12. OP
    rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I don't believe that is still possible with the latest versions of COMAND. I think even the newer TomToms no longer support third party add ons either like pocketgps speed cameras. Unless someone knows different?

13. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I thought that the breath analysers still haven't come in , it was a program suggested years ago but then got suspended before coming into force . At least that's how I understand it

14. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    It's "recommended" you don't have to have them - it was to be a legal requirement but then became a recommendation - I expect it was only the Brits that ever bought any... I have a couple of expired ones which I have in the car :D

15. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I carry some expired ones as well , the ferries and Halfords still sell them as "requirements" which always irritates me a bit

16. OP
    rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    The truth is that it became apparent that there would never be enough breath kits available on the date the law was supposed to go live, so it was postponed for a year. Soon after that, it was discovered that the politician who forced the law through in record time without any of the usual discussions, was the brother in law of the guy who made the breath kits. The whole thing stank and was now so tainted that everyone wanted to repeal the law, but going through through the correct procedures would take years, so it was decided that scrapping the fine for not having one was quicker and easier all round.

DanR200 and Blobcat like this.
  17. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    I've carried the same spare bulb kit I bought for my W210 in every car I've taken over since :D with xenons and LED's pretty irrelevant but I'm obeying the word of the law :p

DanR200 likes this.
  18. OP
    rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Another urban myth, there is no law that you have to carry spare bulbs. There is a law that you can get fined if a bulb is not working, but if you change it there and then you'll usually not get fined. If your carrying bulbs that don't fit your car, then your still at risk of a fine, or not being allowed to continue your journey. The whole thing has become a farce now that cars have LED lights that would require you to change the whole unit.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Wighty likes this.
  19. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253) Premium Plus
    Have a look at https://www.scdb.info/en/software-mercedes/
    It does depend what you have and what year your car is. Works fine with my 2018 GLC which has NTG5*2. Good value for 9.95€ for a year's subscription.

20. Uta

Uta New Member

Your Mercedes:
    560 SL
    It doesn't work with COMAND 5.5, but it does with MBUX - always depends upon the exact model. Some Mercedes have Garmin Map Pilot systems, which work.

As for TomTom, on newer models AFAIK you can now load third party POI's, but it is a bit rubbish. They all have the same symbols and won't give warnings, be they audio or visual, you'll just see a generic icon on the map.

As long as your model is compatible, you should be able to use POIbase to import any POI files you have in gpx, kml or csv format.

If you aren't sure it works with your unit, you could load free POI's first, and if that works, it should also work for the others. Or ask the support to double check.

DanR200 likes this.