split front wings on E350 cabriolet

jeffrey martin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet
I have a 2012 E350 cabriolet which I purchased in 2016 with 32000 miles. After 3 weeks I noticed a split on both front wings about half way along. I thought partner had caused this by scuffing on a road bump so had wings professionally repaired at considerable expense. 3 months later i drove over a small pot hole and discovered that both front wings were again split on same spots.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Jeffrey and welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you mean - got any photos do we can see the damage?

OP
J

jeffrey martin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 78
OP
J

jeffrey martin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet
Similar damage on other side same place. Cracked right through.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Take it back to workshop that repaired it, ask them to investigate.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
These are metal wings, or a plastic composite?

OP
J

jeffrey martin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet
these are aluminium wings

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Are you sure the original damage was replaced and not just painted over....which is why it has come through in the same place ?? (Sorry I have a suspicious nature )

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Are you sure the original damage was replaced and not just painted over....which is why it has come through in the same place ?? (Sorry I have a suspicious nature )
Sounds very likely - a bit of filler and a dab if paint. :(

Have never come across this before. Is it a known problem with aluminium?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

He said they were repaired, not replaced.

Some sort of stress fracture...but in an unusual place. Even after repair the stress would still be there.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Very hard to say without actually seeing the cracks. its not an area that would be prone to stress from driving or fitment, as that area of the wing, and that turned in flange is for lateral stress to the wing, and just acts as a strengthener around the wheel arch area. This area will crack if the wing is subject to damage side on.
If it was repaired it should have been welded, and on aluminium only the outer edge should have been dressed to hide the weld.
It is possible it may have been soldered which would fracture quite easily again.
Edges like this that do fracture sometimes need a reinforcement plate behind to reinstate the integrity of the panel

OP
J

jeffrey martin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet
Both wings were replaced, not repaired, with good quality products. The cracks started as shown on photograph but as time has gone on (a few months) the inner flange of the wing has split further. The integrity of the paint work has remained on the outside of the panel.....just. I initially was suspicious when first happened so ran finger along inside of panel and all was smooth no sign of filler etc. Baffles me how this has happened. all struts and suspension are in top condition??? So do I contact mercedes technical for their ideas?

Paul1948

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI 2003
If this was repaired by someone who what they were doing each end of the split would have been drilled to stop further splitting, this is standard procedure on aircraft before further repair work is carried out. This stops further splitting.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the front wings were replaced and have ended up with the same splits , does this indicate some flex in the vehicle that is causing the crack again in the same area . It is very unlikely that two sets of new wings have the same fault in the same place ???

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Certainly needs some technical examination to determine why the wings are stress cracking in an area that in general would only crack from lateral force or frontal impact damage that deforms the panels. Aluminium is not as flexible as steel and has a hardness that makes it vulnerable to cracking.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
I'm thinking wrong wheels/tyres/springs. Although from the photographs shown, such shouldn't be a problem.

Could there be any way of attaching a video recording device, camera/smartphone/endoscope, etc, to the wheel arch liner and then driving the vehicle over some humps and around corners?

OP
J

jeffrey martin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet
some other images has anyone got an email address for mercedes technical support.I sent message via web page but they directed me to my local dealership?

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 25

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm just guessing but if a non Merc garage changed the wings to replace the previous cracks , then Merc will ignore that fact and say that the work done and the new cracks on the new wings that they didn't fit are nothing to do with them ...
Good luck anyway .

OP
J

jeffrey martin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet
thank you all for your contributions. some very valid points made.

Leec72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 220 d convertible
I have a 2012 E350 cabriolet which I purchased in 2016 with 32000 miles. After 3 weeks I noticed a split on both front wings about half way along. I thought partner had caused this by scuffing on a road bump so had wings professionally repaired at considerable expense. 3 months later i drove over a small pot hole and discovered that both front wings were again split on same spots.
HI, Jeffrey
I have the very same problem with my wifes car, Mercedes 220d convertible 2015 splitting of both wings in the same place. I am currently arguing with Mercedes now over this matter. Did you manage to resolve this issue?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom