split front wings on E350 cabriolet

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
I'm thinking wrong wheels/tyres/springs. Although from the photographs shown, such shouldn't be a problem.

Could there be any way of attaching a video recording device, camera/smartphone/endoscope, etc, to the wheel arch liner and then driving the vehicle over some humps and around corners?

My thoughts as well. I would put money on the tyre hitting the wheel arch at the 12:00 o'clock position and stretching the wing, causing what appears to be an "inward" dent to the wing where the split is. I would check for tyre paint damage evidence on the wing lip.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
My thoughts as well. I would put money on the tyre hitting the wheel arch at the 12:00 o'clock position and stretching the wing, causing what appears to be an "inward" dent to the wing where the split is. I would check for tyre paint damage evidence on the wing lip.

Well......I washed the E350 this morning and guess what?

My nearside wing has a split at the 3 o'clock position, but the offside wing is fine.

The wings have a very narrow lip, so there is not much strength there and in my opinion a design defect.

Leec72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 220 d convertible
Well......I washed the E350 this morning and guess what?

My nearside wing has a split at the 3 o'clock position, but the offside wing is fine.

The wings have a very narrow lip, so there is not much strength there and in my opinion a design defect.
I believe it is a design defect , also the fact the wings are aluminium . The design of the front bumper would appear to carry far to much weight at the front end , with the car being a convertible it would flex a lot more than a standard e class .

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
I believe it is a design defect , also the fact the wings are aluminium . The design of the front bumper would appear to carry far to much weight at the front end , with the car being a convertible it would flex a lot more than a standard e class .

Mine is the E350 coupe. You only have to push the wheel arch lip inwards to see how much flex there is there.

It could have been caused by someone leaning against the wing, someone squeezing in between parked cars, or something else .....

Leec72

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 220 d convertible
Exactly ,so when the car is in motion imagine what stress the wings are under with the extra weight ( bumper) flexing up and down . It wouldn’t be someone pushing on it or a car hitting it, as the wing would be damaged at 12 :00 . Also for them to split would indicate shock load at them points

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
He hasn't been on since Sept 2017, so I wouldn't expect a reply unfortunately......

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom