Spot The Scam?

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
I had an offshore oil rig worker and a Nigerian prince(no lie) trying to buy/scam my Golf GIT 5 years ago on autotrader.

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
I had a scam. A few weeks ago I had an email from a foreign woman who was terminally ill. She had 750k in her bank account & had no relatives or family to leave it to. So she wanted to deposit the money in my bank account & asked me to donate the money to a UK charity of my choice. All she wanted was my bank account details. ?.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Mummy told me long, long ago that if anything looks too good to be true... IT IS!

steve_k243

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Sport/2016 BMW 520d (dark side for a couple of years)
I had a scam. A few weeks ago I had an email from a foreign woman who was terminally ill. She had 750k in her bank account & had no relatives or family to leave it to. So she wanted to deposit the money in my bank account & asked me to donate the money to a UK charity of my choice. All she wanted was my bank account details. ?.

I get the odd Nigerian Dr-Prince-General email. To entertain myself, and those I forward the mails to, I appear to go along with the scam, but rip the absolute urine out of the scammer.

Lines I use in responses, for example--"I will open an account with Coutts & Co, their overseas deposit manager, Mr Will U Phystme often strains away at a huge deposit on a daily basis, In fact todays deposit has just been flushed through the system much to his relief"

"I will obviously have to discuss this with my solicitors, Mssrs Rimmer, Feltcher and Bukkake of Bondage Street, London" One scammer even claimed to have dealt with them!!

This is an "advance fee" scam known as a "419" IE the Nigerian Penal code for an overseas advance fee scam. At best you can have a giggle as I do. At worst your own greed takes over and you send them money, or even worse travel there to pay the advance fee and get mired in an extremely hostile legal system.

vauxhallmaniac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350/SLK320 Special Edt/SLK320 "Tinkerbelle Edition"
Normally with these scams a two second google search on the email address will pull up numerous forums saying they have been approached, the scammers get lazy and even send two or three emails to the seller from the same email address but forget which name they have used!! i sell a fair few cars and generally string it along for a bit of mild amusement i normally ask which oil rigg are they on and if they are stupid enough to reply my brother hapens to work on that one, what department are they in as he could collect the cash from them (do they have cash points on oil riggs?) :D

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
i used to get one from a lawyer in south africa,who after all his searching could only find me with the same surname as his client who had died, so i must be a long lost relative,they had left £10 million in their will and it was all mine, if i sent them my bank details, cash, and agree they could take £2 million for all there hard work for finding me.:rolleyes:

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
The scammers must have some success as they keep on trying. Ether people are gullible or greed entices them.
A female friend of mine was sending off lots of job applications recently. She lives in Kyrgyzstan, & had a reply back from someone who she had not applied to in UK. The sender was offering her a nannies job in UK looking after 1 child. They would pay for her flights & visa, free food & accommodation, use of one of the family cars & 10,000pounds a month salary.
This girl thought it really was a genuine offer, so I am sure some people follow up these scams thinking or hoping they are genuine.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Email scams don't cost anything to run.
Random address and automated email generator can easily send thousands or even millions of emails. They only need one to respond and they've already made a profit.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom