Spring cleaning, Sunroof front drain cleanout best method.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I did this quickly about 2 weeks ago just using a powerful 2,000w Industrial wet and dry vac..
One drains perfectly the other a little slower.

Subsequently seen a picture of the drain tube on EPC, at the end of a single tube for each front drain is a Reed Valve.
My thoughts
- strong suction would pull that shut, add the constriction of a thin tube .... suction will not be so effective, but safe in that it wont push the tube off the frame outlet

As my experience of bathroom drains is, its either whistle clean, or you are at risk, i.e. you get it draining pretty well , and then the sludge moves and totally blocks it.

Whats the best thing to rod the drain with?

1. 1.5mm strimmer wire, looks to be too bendy? and my stuff was wound on a small spool, so very curly.
2. Go and buy some 2mm diam stimmer wire. Hopefully not so coiled.

3. Note I carefully tried some 1.5mm2 electrical wire, circa 3.1mm OD, having first pulled the sheathing so the plastic sheath end covered the copper wire strands, i.e. to protect the drain tube.
Being paranoid about pushing the drain tube off the Sunroof frame spigot, I pushed very very gently and it went in about the length to get it 1/2 way down the A Pillar.
And then I could feel a very slight bit of resistance, so stopped.

4. So I then tried 1.0mm2 wire, circa 2.7mm OD. Oddly one felt slight resistance at exactly the same place, same result the other side (note this is the side that runs extremely freely ... so the slight resistance is not likely to be muck built up in the tube)

Coincidence or would they reduce the bore ? Note the hole in the sunroof tray is about 6mm to 7mm ID.
A bit confused as the EPC part diagram just shows I long tube, so why would it stop 1/2 way down the A pillar??

No advice on WIS , well I cant find it.
Only to say that on cars built post August 2008, one must replace the additional cable tie on the tube pushed onto the frame ... obviously lots were pushed off. ;)
Luckily mine should have that.

Or is it case that I just need to push harder.

Sensible answers appreciated as I am sure Nairac would love to see me push the drain tube off the frame :)

Any safe tips welcome.

Water seems to drain out of the triangular cut outs, on the rear part of the front wheel arch liner, about 6” up.
Is the reed valve located just above this cutout, on the car side of the wheel arch liner?
My thoughts being to push up from the lower end.

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Even the simplest things...

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Surely the pipes don't get smaller they just go through a bend? Just finished rewiring my flat and the slightest bend in the insulator tubing was enough to offer a lot of resistance to 2,5mm electrical cable even though tonnes of space. Can't give you a safe method but tried everything in my W124 and in the end only ramming a coat hanger up and down was the only thing to clear it, and they still work...but yours aren't blocked so as usual it's probably nothing. If you're that bothered just do as I do and check the drains before you wash it (that's once a year for me but I guess a lot more frequently for you)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Surely the pipes don't get smaller they just go through a bend? Just finished rewiring my flat and the slightest bend in the insulator tubing was enough to offer a lot of resistance to 2,5mm electrical cable even though tonnes of space. Can't give you a safe method but tried everything in my W124 and in the end only ramming a coat hanger up and down was the only thing to clear it, and they still work...but yours aren't blocked so as usual it's probably nothing. If you're that bothered just do as I do and check the drains before you wash it (that's once a year for me but I guess a lot more frequently for you)

One Google result, said he found they did narrow.
Just surprised one feels resistance 1/2 way down the A Pillar .... a straight run.

Asked my main dealer what they used, and he said dont try it yourself .. its very easy to push the rubber tube off the sunroof frame on a C216.
.. he said drop in and we will do it for you. :)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I use net curtain wire, its thick enough to bend and goes around corners whilst strong enough to push past all the crud. I screw a loop (like you get on net curtain wire) on the end to help it go around the bends.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Many many moons ago I realised that the sunroof of my Manta B wasn't draining through one of the A post drains (GM thoughtfully had he drains draining into the sill :eek:) It turned out that some time before I bought it, the car had had nearside panels replaced & while welding, they're melted the drain tube slightly in the sill hence it didn't drain properly. That resulted in a wet passenger seat when the car was parked nearside downwards when it rained.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom