sprinter 311 start error code

tooncama

Reaction score
hi,
was at work the other day delivering in my sprinter 311, was was starting fine after every drop off, put deisel in as was running low (was deisel as checked recipt) park at house, got back to van went to start it, it was turning over trying to start but no luck, noticed start error on dash, tried every thing

disconnected the battery, checked fuses, towed back home, mechanic come with his computer said it was a relay problem, took the one from under driver seat, said he was of to get new fuse, sadly never returned,

can any one help, as my beloved van is just sitting outside,

would like to sort before i have to call out merc dealer

i,ve read most forums but no one seems to have the same problem, mine still tries to turn over but wont fire

and help would be greatful

many thanks:(

MB-Car-Tech

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 230K - SOLD now running E320T CDI
If the dash is displaying 'Start Error' then the engine system is imobilised.

This could be down to a number of faults..

the key, the coil ring ring on the ignition lock (pretty unlikley) the imobiliser module, or lack of circuit to this module.

How it works. key will lock and unlock the van, it is only when key is inserted into the ignition lock that the transponder on that key is read by the imobiliser module. when key is turned, key has been read and if imobiliser is happy the it releases a 'Start Enable' to the Engine Control unit and then will start etc etc....

The first thing to check is the key - spare keys at this time are always quite handy !!!!

From there it is always advised to get a diagnostic test on the van carried out. This can tells us lots of things - If the Imobiliser is able to communicate or not and what fault codes exist internally. This will need to be done.

What did this guy take and from where ??

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Will go with MB Tech above ^. key is is the most likely fault!!!!

Have you dropped it at all???

OP
T

tooncama

Reaction score
hi thanks for the respons

the van is a w reg

the guy took the relay switch from under the driver seat, we did try another key, but this did the same, engine turned over but did not fire.

he did do the computer test, (he said) and the reply was relay fault

thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just saying to MB-car-tech welcome to the forum

Ashlee Franklin

Reaction score
Website
www.sprinterstarterror.com
i bought a second hand unit from ebay, fitted it to my sprinter, ecu wsp and ign barrell with key, iv had start error 3 times since, what was a 311cdi is now only a 80hp or 308cdi, i have had no end of problems and have had to call out williams diesels of london. They took away the ecu wsp and keys, swapped it all over for a original 311cdi ecu. It cost me a few quid, but im just happy to have the power back in the motor. Having spoken to Dean at length, and listening to the advice given, i agreed to leave feedback in the forums id googled. His advice is that you should stay clear of complete units from ebay as you are only buying old wsp units, short term they provide a answer, but as they are old, you will encounter "Start Error" again.
From what i understand Dean @ williams diesels owns a company sprinter start error, iv put it as a link on my info here, but you simply send the units listed to them, they repair the actual units, so in return you are keeping the original equipment, and its being repaired. As far as i know there isnt anyone else offering this type of service, and had it not been for me being given a duff ecu, i would have taken this route. I have scoured google, and forums, rang dealers everything, spent hours, now use my wasted time and if you want peace of mind from start error use williams diesels, or sprinter start error . com

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom