Sprinter Gear Change Issues....Is it this??

Chris Marriott

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
313 Sprinter 2010
Hi all,

Having problems changing gears in my Sprinter 2010 313 CDI.

They are all a bit grindy but going down into second is a right bugger, really have to jam it in. Reverse and 1st are not quite as bad but still pretty rubbish.

So far changed the oil and made it a bit better. Next on the list as advised by EVERYONE is change gear lever cables but didnt want to spend £100 without knowing for sure.

Had a look under where the cables hit the gear box and I found that there was a bit of play:

The plastic bit literally just comes right off and the arm its attached to is really wobbly.

Also this arm was not the easiest to shift and was quite clunky:

Is this is normal behaviour or have I located the problems?

NB. I have been trying to find a diagram/ parts list to find out what these bits are called and havent really got anywhere. If anyone has a link that would be great.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
First thing to check is clutch adjustment.
If the clutch doesn't disengage fully then it will be difficult to get into gear.
That link does seem to pop off easily so would probably benefit from changing.

OP
Chris Marriott

Chris Marriott

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
313 Sprinter 2010
First thing to check is clutch adjustment.
If the clutch doesn't disengage fully then it will be difficult to get into gear.
That link does seem to pop off easily so would probably benefit from changing.

Great. Thanks Lost.

Is that something that can be done by a keen tinkerer or is it more of a pros job?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Where's the bite point for the clutch? Is it close to the floor or high in the travel?

OP
Chris Marriott

Chris Marriott

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
313 Sprinter 2010
Probably ok then. In which case try to sort the linkage.

OK I have done a quick google and yes you do mean the cables!

I will get on that and report back...Im sure you cant wait! But I think this may go dead for a little bit as it will no doubt take me ****** ages to getting round to it.

Thanks for you time. I have spent hours reading about the various problems it would be. Sometimes a little direction helps no end.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom