Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 mercedes sprinter 313cdi luton
just got a 2001 sprinter 313cdi luton on 120k and having a few teething problems. at the moment the van is lacking a bit of power but i have narrowed that down to a blowing injector seal on cylinder 3.

the other problem im haveing (that im sure is unrelated) is that the van does not get up to temperature properly. it seems to hover between 50 and 60 mostly with maybe creeping up to 70 if you push it hard up a long hill.

i assume normal op temp should be between 80 and 90? is this correct?

i assumed this was the thermostat stuck open and have bought an new one (not tested yet because my engine is apart pending injector resealing) old thermostat looked ok however. put the new one in anyway.

what i did notice though was that the viscous fan seems very stiff at cold. much more so than my old transit that would spin freely for several seconds if the engine was start/stop quickly from cold. is this normal or could it be part of my overcooling problem?

anything else to try? waiting for injector parts for the next few days so would like to get her all fixed up at once.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
no idea which engine output you had in your transit BUT a van with a luton box on the back is never going to be quick, so i wouldnt get your hopes up too much.

temp issue is almost always the thermostat. not sure if it works on the vans (i assume it will) but with the cars you should be able to stop the fan on a cold engine with a carrot. if the fan is operating too much, you will get a nicely chopped carrot! and yes temp should be up in the 80s

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 mercedes sprinter 313cdi luton
Thanks for that. Thought as much on the temp. Fan is def too stiff then. Very hard to turn at all from cold. Would have no trouble with a carrot

My transit was much higher milage and originally 90 horsepower. It is built into a pretty heavy camper (loads of oak). And weighs about 3.5 tons.

Sprinter is 130hp and currently empty so weighs just over 2.5 tons. Realise my top speed ain't going to be great because of the massive brick effect but I expected a bit more acceleration. I'm sure this lack is due to number 3 injector.as when I picked it up it seemed pretty fast and I think deterioted pretty quickly.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
we run Iveco Daily's at work (cr@p is an understatement) and have 110bhp, 2x 130bhp and a 140bhp and even the 140 is reasonably quick in van form, id not like to think what it would be like with the 'brick' on the back

Top Bottom