Sprinter-sump full of water

meanie

Reaction score
Got a '98 Sprinter with the 602 engine in it.
Had a sump full of water!I sucked 2 litres of water out before hitting oil!
When pressure testing,it held up to about 1bar,then dropped.I could hear it,but not see where the water was running.So,head removed & crack tested-ok.
The important thing here is that the oil wasn't emulsified,just floating on top of the water.
Am I missing something-my gut feeling is that the block must be cracked.Are there any known weaknesses that I'm missing?
Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Could the guy have driven through a flood, if the oil and water had not emulsified then it had not gone through the oil system in the engine, surely it only emulsifies once it has been pumped

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
Could the guy have driven through a flood, if the oil and water had not emulsified then it had not gone through the oil system in the engine, surely it only emulsifies once it has been pumped

Sorry,I should have said coolant,not water.

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
Sounds like a cracked liner to me, if the head is ok. Did the engine lock hydraulicly at any time ? Unlikely to be the block............Liner is favourite IMHO

OP
M

meanie

Reaction score
Sounds like a cracked liner to me, if the head is ok. Did the engine lock hydraulicly at any time ? Unlikely to be the block............Liner is favourite IMHO

Does this engine run wet or dry liners?I've never had any dealings with the bottom end on these,but for some reason I had it in my head that they were dry.
He's short on money,so I'm trying to cut corners on the labour diagnosing it if we can,but if they're wet I don't mind ripping the sump off & pistons out.
Thanks.

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
OK Malcolm, thats my theory out the window.....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom