squeaky heater ! eek eek.....

L

longlostpoet

hello all,
my 1986 300SE has developed a squeak from what i believe to be the heater fan or the motor bearings.
it is fairly constant at level 1,
although if i go round a corner the noise ceases till i am on the straight again.
at levels 2, 3 & 4 the noise is less evident, as if the speed of it's revolutions is not incurring the fault quite so badly.
is the remedy "WD40" ?
and if so how & where do i spray it ?
or
do i need a new fan unit ?
and if so how do i replace it ?
is it a job for the Dealer or can i try to do it myself....
LLP

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Whilst WD40 is the universal panacea and first resort for many it is not by any strech of the imagination a good engineered fix, avoid it like the plague.

The fan bearings are probably at fault and you need to get some lubricant onto them so squirting wd at it may at least temporarily cure your squeak...
BUT wd stinks and most of the eflux of the can will land on the fan blades and housing ready to be blown into the cabin via the heater unit and sticking to all sufaces inside it, maybe the wd will dry up eventualy and cease smelling as it does.

It would be best to apply a lubricant directly onto the motor bearings and that calls for good access to them, removal of the fan assembly would be the best method of doing this.

Superior spray lubricants are available some of them barely smell but you must get them onto the fan motor's bearings regardless of the type used, a can with a long nozzle extension might just be able to get near the bearings once a few bits of plastic cover etc have been removed. Avoid getting oils etc on the motor brushes and commutator this might just shorten the life of the motor.

Silu CLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 240/Avantgarde/Cabriolet/2004
Squeaky Heater

hello all,
my 1986 300SE has developed a squeak from what i believe to be the heater fan or the motor bearings.
it is fairly constant at level 1,
although if i go round a corner the noise ceases till i am on the straight again.
at levels 2, 3 & 4 the noise is less evident, as if the speed of it's revolutions is not incurring the fault quite so badly.
is the remedy "WD40" ?
and if so how & where do i spray it ?
or
do i need a new fan unit ?
and if so how do i replace it ?
is it a job for the Dealer or can i try to do it myself....
LLP

I have a 54 plate CLK240 Avengarde Convertible and have the exact same symptoms and I guessed it could be the bearings and wondered if simply lubricating them would do the trick, but I have no idea whatsoever as to how to get to the unit in the first instant. Does anyone have a diagram and steps of how to get to the offending bit?

Thank you in anticipation

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have a 54 plate CLK240 Avengarde Convertible and have the exact same symptoms and I guessed it could be the bearings and wondered if simply lubricating them would do the trick, but I have no idea whatsoever as to how to get to the unit in the first instant. Does anyone have a diagram and steps of how to get to the offending bit?

Thank you in anticipation

Access should be by removing the kick panel on the passenger side and remove the 3 screws securing the fan motor.

It is the brush/commutator end that need the oil, I would drop a few drops of engine oil onto the motor shaft with a thin screwdriver

daveskompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e55 amg kompressor
had the same on my w215 cl and was due to water dripping on to the fan due to blocked heater drains ,method of repair was as malcolm said but i stripped my heater unit down and the fan was nearly seized. i took the fan out and firstly worked it by hand to get some movement ,while applying wd40 i connected it to a drill and kept the trigger pulled while stiill spraying wd into the bearing after about five minutes it was running free, but if your setup is the same make shore that any drain holes are not clogged up with grime otherwise you will have the same again. good luck! cheers dave

Silu CLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 240/Avantgarde/Cabriolet/2004
Thanks guys I appreciate all your responses. Would love to see a few diagrams before I start but will have a look

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom