Squeaky Steering W205 Coupe 2016

aaroh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2015
Was booked into Dealer before the first lockdown and then but 3 weeks later - no sound, drove 15 miles to the dealer but couldn't hear any of the noise. I didn't fancy paying £100 ( for them to investigate the problem ) if the problem could not be seen or heard. Since then not driven the car continuously ( weekly) for some time so have not heard it since?
I doubt it's gone - maybe return when I start using the car more. Still, strange the noise is not there all the time? Thoughts anyone?
When I run it for a while or if I go to a hot place, the you can't hear the sound when I drove to the dealer today it was gone. Weird thing

aaroh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2015
Well that's clearly shock absorber related. Or a suspension component.
Someone told me the bushing were to be changed in the next service thats 80 days away could be that but not sure if that's how a worn out bushing sounds

Paks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205/C250/2014/2.0P/Airmatic
I have the same problem too, it's coming from the driver's side on the right.
It sounds exactly as the video posted by EasyD and aaroh.
I've had the car checked by an independent workshop and they changed a tie rod but the sound is still there.

According to them, all ball joints are checked and no play or visual wear and tear is seen but I realised the sound is greatly diminished whenever I am driving up an incline. I wonder if this is caused by a component in the suspension and it only happens when the car is loaded; and when they jacked up the car, there is no load on the suspension and therefore they cannot seem to locate the sound?

I dont recall hearing this during the winter but being summer where I am, just also thinking if this sound is caused by some rubber expansion onto some parts that are really constructed with very little tolerance?

Can anyone advise if they have found the cause and a fix for this?

aaroh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2015
I have the same problem too, it's coming from the driver's side on the right.
It sounds exactly as the video posted by EasyD and aaroh.
I've had the car checked by an independent workshop and they changed a tie rod but the sound is still there.

According to them, all ball joints are checked and no play or visual wear and tear is seen but I realised the sound is greatly diminished whenever I am driving up an incline. I wonder if this is caused by a component in the suspension and it only happens when the car is loaded; and when they jacked up the car, there is no load on the suspension and therefore they cannot seem to locate the sound?

I dont recall hearing this during the winter but being summer where I am, just also thinking if this sound is caused by some rubber expansion onto some parts that are really constructed with very little tolerance?

Can anyone advise if they have found the cause and a fix for this?
Are you hearing and whirring sounds from your steering while inside the car?
If yes I would suggest getting the steering pump checked. I haven't been able to visit the workshop because I've been busy. Sent this video to a mechanic and he said that he will check the steering pump

Paks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you hearing and whirring sounds from your steering while inside the car?
If yes I would suggest getting the steering pump checked. I haven't been able to visit the workshop because I've been busy. Sent this video to a mechanic and he said that he will check the steering pump

I don't hear the whirring sound..it's the sound of the mousey squeak while turning the wheels.. the sound appears even with the slightest touch of the steering wheel..

If it's due to hot weather, I should reach out to my friends from home if they have the same problem, or I have to wait a few more months for winter!

aaroh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2015
I don't hear the whirring sound..it's the sound of the mousey squeak while turning the wheels.. the sound appears even with the slightest touch of the steering wheel..

If it's due to hot weather, I should reach out to my friends from home if they have the same problem, or I have to wait a few more months for winter!
For me it stopped happening in places with a hot climate. Surely sounds like some rubber part

Paks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
bottom ball joint

My car was checked and all ball joints are ok and they also lubed all the joints they can find.

So i took it out for an extended drive down the mway and i realised that the squeak disappears. But after a few tugs of the steering wheel whilst stationary, the sound returns until at motorway speeds and it goes away again..

Don't quite understand this bit.

I think I'm just going to leave it as it is until either some part gives way or it gets so loud I can hear it in the cabin then I will fix it proper.
This hunt for the unicorn is costing way too much!

However, if any one of you here find a fix for that, please let us know!

hmang

Reaction score
My car was checked and all ball joints are ok and they also lubed all the joints they can find.

So i took it out for an extended drive down the mway and i realised that the squeak disappears. But after a few tugs of the steering wheel whilst stationary, the sound returns until at motorway speeds and it goes away again..

Don't quite understand this bit.

I think I'm just going to leave it as it is until either some part gives way or it gets so loud I can hear it in the cabin then I will fix it proper.
This hunt for the unicorn is costing way too much!

However, if any one of you here find a fix for that, please let us know!
Well fair enough .
did they turn the wheels while there was weight on them ? and more to the point ...while it was squeaking !!....£ 5 ebay stethoscope helped me find mine

i had an s class do this squeaking thing . Drove me mental .
couldnt feel anything in the ball joint but in desperation , cut a slot in the boot and filled up with wd or similar . the noise went away for long enough to tell me that was my problem .

Hope you find it

Last edited:

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
...... cut a slot in the boot and filled up with wd or similar .
Would grease using the spray can type work?
And there are glues available to seal up the boot as well.

hmang

Reaction score
Would grease using the spray can type work?
And there are glues available to seal up the boot as well.
i just wanted summat thin in there to prove the point .
I didnt care about the boot as i was 99% sure the ball joint was my problem and would replace it any way .

if you can split the ball joint without damaging it , you could always try to open up the boot at the clip / clasp / ring .

It's not a fix , if the ball joint is gone ,it's gone .
I just used this as down and dirty diagnostic before i ordered a new joint any way

a tiny pin hole in the boot is all it needed to put the wd nozzle in

Paks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the video!
I am starting to wonder the ball joint is starting to malfunction; the rubber somewhat expanded and is causing the squeal, but it's not gone bad yet so there are no movements or play?

Could any part of the ball joint housing be susceptible to expansion, before it tears and causing a proper ball joint failure?

It's hard hunting sounds.. but thanks guys!

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
If it is there with the slightest tuck on the steering wheel, then with all the windows closed, check it.
If you hear it, then it is the universal joint on the steering column needing a bit of lube.

aaroh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 2015
Thanks for the video!
I am starting to wonder the ball joint is starting to malfunction; the rubber somewhat expanded and is causing the squeal, but it's not gone bad yet so there are no movements or play?

Could any part of the ball joint housing be susceptible to expansion, before it tears and causing a proper ball joint failure?

It's hard hunting sounds.. but thanks guys!
Have you found any fix yet or are you driving it the way it is?

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Mines booked in tomorrow for both lower control arms to be replaced. Got the price down to £620 at dealer, but even good Indy quoted £500 and it’s a good drive away. 48k miles, both sides. Squeaks when car is bounced and when steering is turned. Will let you know tomorrow

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Replaced today and car feels much better on the road. Steering feels tight again and it’s gliding like a Mercedes should. Tiny bit of brake judder has pretty much gone now.

overall, the old control arms were OK however, ball joint worn. This would’ve caused squeak.

Also noted that the threads of the bolts had slowly fatigued into the houses. Not major, but enough to deplete the tight feeling of a new car steering!

on a side note ... had a GLB as a courtesy car ... 40k for what?? Didn’t even have electric seats!!

85FA7207-C507-41DF-AD97-C5B919E624FA.jpeg DC96BA8E-28B7-4FDA-B53F-D4AF467A116A.jpeg 3F02DB80-6C92-445B-984F-206F6FD94040.jpeg 7D7DC017-1A9E-4CE3-ACEE-D69023D942C9.jpeg 9017D8E5-2A43-46B7-9F92-F72A9672ACE8.jpeg 1C4EDF19-21F5-49BC-A4E6-806D79E6E097.jpeg

Paks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Replaced today and car feels much better on the road. Steering feels tight again and it’s gliding like a Mercedes should. Tiny bit of brake judder has pretty much gone now.

overall, the old control arms were OK however, ball joint worn. This would’ve caused squeak.

Also noted that the threads of the bolts had slowly fatigued into the houses. Not major, but enough to deplete the tight feeling of a new car steering!

on a side note ... had a GLB as a courtesy car ... 40k for what?? Didn’t even have electric seats!!

View attachment 64916 View attachment 64917 View attachment 64918 View attachment 64919 View attachment 64920 View attachment 64921

Thank you for this update and it's really helpful!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom