Squeaky Steering W205 Coupe 2016

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Thank you for this update and it's really helpful!

Pretty sure yours would be the ball joints which is a sealed unit, unfortunately. I think the part is £177 each, and if you have a good Mercedes Independent, it won't take them long to switch. If I went through a drive-through, I could hear mine squeal like mad. Also, a slight bit of steering vibration at speed.

If you do get them done, perhaps request the old parts and take photos similar to above. :)

Also, I'm not sure, but I think Mercedes have uprated the Part number on the Control Arms which might mean new materials/ball joint design from field feedback (I.e. these squeaking all the time!). Service Manager confirmed that they see a lot of these which is why they keep 10+ in stock at all times.

Paks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205/C250/2014/2.0P/Airmatic
Pretty sure yours would be the ball joints which is a sealed unit, unfortunately. I think the part is £177 each, and if you have a good Mercedes Independent, it won't take them long to switch. If I went through a drive-through, I could hear mine squeal like mad. Also, a slight bit of steering vibration at speed.

If you do get them done, perhaps request the old parts and take photos similar to above. :)

Also, I'm not sure, but I think Mercedes have uprated the Part number on the Control Arms which might mean new materials/ball joint design from field feedback (I.e. these squeaking all the time!). Service Manager confirmed that they see a lot of these which is why they keep 10+ in stock at all times.

You nailed it! I attributed the slight vibration at speeds to wheel balancing although the vibration comes and goes so that set me thinking: it shouldnt have been my tires..
I've not had much luck with the workshops where I am but since I've got mechanical breakdown insurance, I'll ring Mercedes and bring my car in there as soon as possible.
Looking forward to having the windows down and feeling a little bit of wind in the cabin.
Thanks Janchee

Paks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205/C250/2014/2.0P/Airmatic
Here's an update:
I could not take the squeak anymore and the last straw was when a few friends asked me about it when I rolled up their driveway..
Took it in Mercedes and the tech did not even bother to do a test drive: "I heard it when you came in. no need for a test drive; I already know what is wrong."

So yup, it's the ball joint and the whole arm needs replacing. Total cost - 350NZD the rest is covered by mechanical insurance..
Parts are ex-Singapore and will probably be fixed after Easter holidays.

I look forward to welcoming the quiet (like it should)!
Happy Easter folks!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Interesting video from Meyle about the lower control arm on the w205.

Top Bottom