1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SRS Airbag Sensor - Crash Data reset

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Hankiss, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Hankiss

Hankiss Member

Your Mercedes:
    w220 s-class
    Hello to All Members,
    I spend a lot of time reading about this issue, but I’m still very confused. I wonder if anyone here has a practical experience in the matter. I recently purchased W220 320CDI (2005) which was involved in an accident. Two side and roof air bags were deployed as well as seatbelt buckle. I replaced all of them. MB Star still shows faults related to these items. Also it’s pointing to SRS Airbag Sensor (called also Airbag ECU) saying that the unit cannot be reprogrammed. Obviously the crash data is written into it and it’s blocking the unit, so Star cannot clear the faults. Merc stealer says; I must buy new unit and reprogram it (....lots of money !!!) By searching Internet I came across ads from people claiming that they can clear crash data from the unit (for £35) and make it as new. Even more, the unit will not need reprogramming. Logically, if the Bosch unit uses EEPROM or similar chips, it must be possible (using the right tools) to flash the data, modify the file (deleting crash data) and upload the file to cleared EEPROM. This is my theory.... Can anyone here verify this by his own experience? I tried to look into MB Star Developing Mode for the solution, but it is in German, so I do not want to experiment without proper guidance, as I can make more damage than good. I read some articles that some Members in the similar situation, purchased used units on E-bay and installed them to the car without nasty consequences. Again my theory is that it should work, assuming that I will get exactly the same unit with the same Bosch number and that the previous car was not involved in any accidents. That would be very difficult to get. I would be much obligated if someone here will input some solid info regarding the above. All the best, Mark

2. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
    Hi Mark

yes, some companies advertising SRS ecu reset services can indeed do the job - much cheaper than a new one as you said. sorry i cannot recommend one. you can also reset it back to factory (no vin or specifics coded and unlocked) with developer mode, i have done this on an earlier W220.

3. cleverdicky

cleverdicky Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    MB
    Yes it can be cleared. But you have to replace air bags first but as youve done that, that should be it. If you have any dodgy connections still (check ONLY with ignition off) it wont clear. If I remember there are a couple of levels that can be cleared. If all airbags are ok and fitted well a simple code fault reset (did mine with a sealy) will clear the srs light. But details are still stored. You need a star or a very good equivilent to clear it completely. You do not need to replace the srs unit. I did buy another replacement, I never used and still have it (if anyones interested;) but wasnt needed.

4. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    i think this module has stored code B/C1000 which cannot be erased in normal STAR operations or with other scanners, but likely can be done with developer mode.

5. OP
    Hankiss

Hankiss Member

Your Mercedes:
    w220 s-class
    Hi, and BIG thank you to all the Gentlemen above. I have MB Star, but don’t know German to make good use of the Developers Mode. Your info helped me to take a decision and today I have posted my Airbag Sensor to one guy from Halifax who promised to clear Crash Data for £35,-. Now I’m waiting for the unit to come back. I will post the final story in a couple of days. Thank you again, Mark

6. cleverdicky

Your Mercedes:
    MB
    i dont know but wont the fault be registered in star still ?

7. OP
    Hankiss

Hankiss Member

Your Mercedes:
    w220 s-class
    Hi, I'm still waiting for the Airbag Sensor to come back from reset....

8. Mark@RMK

Mark@RMK Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    115CDi Vito
    In Dev mode with password..
    Steuergerat enriegeln (FN_SG_Entriegeln) Unlock ECU
    Crashendaten ( < Made that up as I can't remember exact german word!)
    Reset/clear
    Then close ecu with..
    Steuergerat verriegeln (FN_SG_Verriegeln)

:)

9. OP
    Hankiss

Hankiss Member

Your Mercedes:
    w220 s-class
    Hello again. My Airbag Sensor came back from the guy clearing “Crash Data”. He said that unit is ready to be fitted back into the car. And, this is what I did. It was clear from RSR message on the dash... but not very long. Next few ignitions... and the fault came back. Went into MB Star, which pointed to the Airbag Sensor – “... wrong coding”. So, I’m back to square nr 1. MB Star want do “Initial Starup” as it say, it could be only performed on new –non locked unit. My unit is still interlocked. I will try MarkPRP suggestions in developing mode, but my worry is that S-class may have some kind of central coding (outside Airbag Sensor) which keeps RSR fault in a memory. I will keep posting...

10. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    it can be done on developer on earlier w220 cars, as i said in post #2, hopefully the same on yours. dev mode - actuations - process item FN_UNLOCK_ARMIN_0_TO_1 first, then FN_UNLOCK_ARMIN_1_TO_2, then FN_WRITE_OPEN. you will then be able to enter vin and coding etc through initial startup.

is this the original module fitted to the car? if so, why are you getting incorrect coding faults?

11. andy@pcd-ltd

andy@pcd-ltd Guest

The only thing i can think of is they have completly wiped the control unit.

But if they have i would expect it not to be locked to the vehicle and be able to carry out initial startup.

i would contact the company back and see what they have to say about it

12. OP
    Hankiss

Hankiss Member

Your Mercedes:
    w220 s-class
    Thanks Alex for your inputs. Although mine is late 2005, tomorrow I will try your suggestion in Developers Mode. Your question makes very much sense here. I asked the same question to the guy who was trying to make this work. When the unit came back from “clearance” I installed it back to the car, but had SRS fault. Star produced error in Airbag module “coding is faulty”. This is why I tried to reprogram the unit and do some coding manually. Thanks God I have the original dump file (with crash data in it). I will try to clear the crash data again and upload modified file back to the module. The coding should remain the same as it was before the accident. I will experiment some more tomorrow, and will keep you updated. Cheers, for now

13. cleverdicky

Your Mercedes:
    MB
    you should have cleared the unit while it was in the car.
    Are you sure there are no faults still? i.e. blown seatbelt module you might have missed ?

14. OP
    Hankiss

Hankiss Member

Your Mercedes:
    w220 s-class
    Just an update on my SRS saga. I took out the Airbag Sensor again. Using the programmer, flushed the chip, modified the original file and uploaded the file back to the Airbag Sensor. Fitted back AS in the car . This time, RSR light didn’t come even without re-coding. Star diagnostic confirmed everything clear. I think, the first time, AS came back to me with wrong file loaded, hence I had RSR light on the dash and Star generated fault “coding faulty”. Now everything works OK (for time being). My case proved two things; 1.If you have a right equipment and software, Airbag Sensor can be cleared from crash data – means there is not need to spend almost £500 for a new unit. 2. If the unit comes back to the same car it was taken off, there is no need for re-coding. However, after an accident you need to replace all faulty items (airbags, buckles, belts) before clearing and installing Airbag Sensor. Otherwise your RSR light will stay on. Thank you to everybody who tried to help me here... All the best, Cheers
    By the way I diod not try Alex sugestions as there was no need for that. But it is good to know this for the future.

15. j4gg4

j4gg4 Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    CLK, CLS, A-CLASS, ML

How did you flush the data and modify it?

did you get coding is faulty before hand?

I too had this problem but was told the ONLY WAY around it is to buy a new unit. Exactly like you was told.

16. jca2689

jca2689 New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    Sl500
    Hi there, I know this is an old thread b I can't seem to do this as it requests security access and I was wondering if you could guide me from there?

The help would greatly be appreciated.