Stargard...worth it or not?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Superguard may be pricey from dealers but it seems to do the job it claims. My ML was Superguarded by the first owner. Never been waxed. Done 33k miles and coming up to 3 years old. Washed once every 2 to 3 weeks. Sits out in the sea air 24/7. But it stills looks shiny and new.

Royston59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 CLS 350 CDI AMG Sport & 2014 C220 CDI AMG Sport edition (Wifeys)
Any half decent wax from your local Halfords, and an hour or two of your time, will achieve exactly the same effect.

These after-sales "supaguard" treatments are a ripoff on an epic scale.
plus one!......tbh good polish and high quality wax produces top class finish

aquanaut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 C63s AMG
Had it done when i bought my c55 and it lasted well. Still, discovered i should have gone elsewhere than the dealer as it was pricey! Also had it applied to my C63 but for free this time.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Not something I would consider but to be fair my neighbour had his done and after 4+ years it still looks as good as new and he washes just once every two weeks.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Polish (unless you're talking about the high wax content finishing polishes) contain a tiny amount of cutting agent.

Every time you wax your car you are therefore cutting away a very very fine layer of paint (well laquer).

These coatings are designed to be applied to a totally perfect paint finish (so they need to be applied to a new or almost new car to work best) but they irradicate the need to polish the car, thus you aren't "cutting" any laquer off.

They DO work. I have been in the motor trade on and off all my life, and part-ex's that have been treated from new are almost always in better nick than cars that haven't.

Anyone who says a good wax will do the same job doesn't understand how car polish works! A polish will make the car look just as good when it's just been done - however it won't last - the wax needs to be applied at least once a month to keep that gloss. These products are permanent, and then you apply a "conserver" over the top (like a wax but with no cutting agent) which brings the gloss back.

I have seen many 14 year old cars which have been treated shine like a new pin once they've been washed off properly.

Price - just so you know, the kit costs the dealer about £40 - £50 - the rest of the cost is labour to apply and profit - so I suggest when ordering your car, you specify the treatment but haggle very hard over the price of it.... My dads last 2 cars have had it - but on one he paid £100 for it and on the other it was thrown in for nothing to close the deal...

Bob Penny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL/1999/500
Diamond Brite

I used Diamond Brite after claying the old girl and very impressed. get comments from Joe public in car parks as to how good it looks. I even took some to my son's in Australia this year and did his cars.

You can get Diamond brite off Ebay, it's a 2 pack application.

iandsm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 1.6 SE 2009
Starguard

I just bought a 2007 180 which has had this treatment. The vehicle is totally in "as new"condition inside and out and the paintwork gleams, water runs off easily and after rain the vehicle appears to have just been leathered and polished. What is particularly interesting is that the window glass has also been treated and whatever the weather nothing sticks, no streaks or anything, it looks like the windows have just been cleaned and polished all the time, this is obviously what is happening to the paintwork. Based on what I have seen on a five year old vehicle, I think it's money well spent.:lol:

SunnyDee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W204 Petrol Coupé
Hey, does stargurd deal with starches as well?

I have it on my car, but noticed a starch rear wing of the boot.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My W204 had it done by a previous owner, the paint was horrible, unbelievably rough.

After a clay, AG Ultra Deep Shine, Bilt Hamber "Quick Wax" and Sonax it was all good again.

SunnyDee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 W204 Petrol Coupé
OMG I just rang MB UK Customers service and the lady I spoke to hasn't even heard of Stargurd :D:confused:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Spend £27 and buy a geet big bottle of Collinite 845. Apply two coats (developing a Schwartzeneggeresque physique in doing so) and watch nothing stick to your paint for the next few months.

RainX your glass for the same effect too.

Sazz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cla 220
Hi
Star guard was put on my brand new vehicle. When i went to collect the vehicle i was told its already on there so i cant have it taken off. They also charged me £399. After 5 months of driving the vehicle and having to wash it every week its definetly not worth it. I dont see the benefit at all. Any advice on how i can get my money back....

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
you can still scratch a car that has STARGuard,

I was wondering if you have one of these finishes applied and then need a repair , and say they paint a wing and need to blend in the next panel and cill.
Would these "finishes" make it difficult for the painter? I.e. Need to remove it from any panels being painted, and then redone on those sections to get the right colour?
Or do they just come off with panel wipe etc?

Personally after negotiating the final price, I just say OK get your prep guys to give it 3 coats of AG SR. ( now knowing better I would ask for 3 coats of Collinite. :)

The cars look fabulous, and you have a base of 3 coats of wax.

My other quesrion is .. claying really imprives a car by getting off all the airborne contaminates. Tree sap etc.
Do these "finishes" really stop this stuff adhereing? If not would claying remove these finishes.?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I think all of these are a rip-off, if you really wanted to do this on your car you can buy the product yourself a whole lot cheaper and do it yourself. It is only a polish like product. It is widely regarded purely as a profit centre by the stealers !! :(

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom