Start Stop Technology

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
Could someone explain how this works please. What i do know is that when the car is stationary the engine cuts off then comes on again when either the clutch is engaged or the accelerator is pressed.
I have also read somewhere that on the new b class(w246) the system is connected to the aircon system.:confused:

Umberto

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would do a search on bluetec technology

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
Could someone explain how this works please. What i do know is that when the car is stationary the engine cuts off then comes on again when either the clutch is engaged or the accelerator is pressed.
I have also read somewhere that on the new b class(w246) the system is connected to the aircon system.:confused:

Umberto

My B class stop start only comes into action when the optimum engine temperature and preset cabin temperatures have been reached, if you are standing for a long time in traffic with the engine stopped the cabin temperature will drop so the engine will start again. It will also restart if the battery voltage becomes low when you are sitting with lights, heaters etc. switched on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My B class stop start only comes into action when the optimum engine temperature and preset cabin temperatures have been reached, if you are standing for a long time in traffic with the engine stopped the cabin temperature will drop so the engine will start again. It will also restart if the battery voltage becomes low when you are sitting with lights, heaters etc. switched on.

Do you have the option to turn this feature off

OP
bertg

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
Is yours Petrol or Diesel:?:

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
Do you have the option to turn this feature off

The feature can be turned off or on at will in my S as long as the conditions for its operation are correct.
It defaults to on every time the engine is restarted.
I find it ok when driving in normal traffic and just stopping at lights or road junctions, but it's a pain in congested traffic when you move a few feet then have to stop. At these times I turn it off.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The feature can be turned off or on at will in my S as long as the conditions for its operation are correct.
I find it ok when driving in normal traffic and just stopping at lights or road junctions, but it's a pain in congested traffic when you move a few feet then have to stop. At these times I turn it off.

Thanks,, so this is what I have to look forward to when I get a bluetec CL :D

P

peterdh

I agree that it takes some getting used to initially buy once over the 'learning curve' it seems quite normal. I like it as it saves me money (not so many trips to the pumps) and I feel as though I'm doing my bit for the environment. Ahh I hear you say.

It doesn't need to be a problem in the stop start traffic you mention Oarsman because you can stop it from cutting out if you 'feather' the brake pedal when in such traffic. That, if you are not used to doing it, takes a little practice to get used to but will 'solve' that particular problem for you.

Must say that I'm chuffed to bits with it. The day it doesn't start again, if that ever happens, I post a revised opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Like this a lot, my type of humour :lol::lol::lol::lol:

There has been a few funny ones today :D:D Like the guy that can hear his ML rusting away when it all quiet

Gwion Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B180 Sport Night Edition

Umberto

I know this is an old feed but I recently bought a w246 B180 1.8 diesel automatic. The start stop function (eco) Dosent seem to be working, or at lease it hasn’t worked with me yet. I’ve only driven 3 times but haven’t seemed to get it working. Does it really depend on weather the a/c is on that bad or engine/cabin temp is perfect. Just wondering if anyone could help out a bit. Thanks :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I know this is an old feed but I recently bought a w246 B180 1.8 diesel automatic. The start stop function (eco) Dosent seem to be working, or at lease it hasn’t worked with me yet. I’ve only driven 3 times but haven’t seemed to get it working. Does it really depend on weather the a/c is on that bad or engine/cabin temp is perfect. Just wondering if anyone could help out a bit. Thanks :)
Hello and welcome,

Quite a few variables, battery condition is probably the biggest though

Gwion Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome,

Quite a few variables, battery condition is probably the biggest though

I read about this online and it said that the voltage needed to be between 13.7 and 14.5 volts. I checked this on the dealer menu’s on the car and whilst I had the engine off, the battery was lowest at 13.9 volts and when the engine was on it was at 14.3 volts with peak at 14.7. It’s a 2012 facelift model with the original battery. Brevity’s owner said he never had problems and the eco button light is always green. Would you recommend taking to dealer, do the charge for something like this? Thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
They usually charge for everything...

It can take awhile for it to turn on depending upon electrical loading (higher at this time of year) - few long journeys should have it working (assuming all is good)

Gwion Davies

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They usually charge for everything...

It can take awhile for it to turn on depending upon electrical loading (higher at this time of year) - few long journeys should have it working (assuming all is good)

Great thanks so much for the help! Going to be driving to Austria on Friday so hopefully that’s long enough! Haha

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom