Starter fuse blowing on c 220 CDI

Rob Corfield

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Estate 220 CDI
I have a 2003 Mercedes C class 220 CDI estate. I have replaced a leaking injector seal. When I came to restart the car I found that the starter motor just gave a loud continues clicking noise, and on removal of the starter, found the cast cover which supports the drive cog was broken. I have fitted a reconditioned starter (RTX from Euro car Parts). Now the starter fuse (no 52 – 15 amp) blows when I try to turn the starter, I have tried a 20 amp (and a 25!) but it still blows. Euro parts have exchanged the starter but the result is the same. The fuse even blows if I just connect the feed to the starter solenoid (with the starter not fitted in the car). The engine turns over when cranked by hand and the there does not appear to be any damage the teeth of the large cog which the starter engages on.

Any suggestions please- the only positive is that we now know how to take out and refit a starter to a C class !

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
Fuses

I have a 2003 Mercedes C class 220 CDI estate. I have replaced a leaking injector seal. When I came to restart the car I found that the starter motor just gave a loud continues clicking noise, and on removal of the starter, found the cast cover which supports the drive cog was broken. I have fitted a reconditioned starter (RTX from Euro car Parts). Now the starter fuse (no 52 – 15 amp) blows when I try to turn the starter, I have tried a 20 amp (and a 25!) but it still blows. Euro parts have exchanged the starter but the result is the same. The fuse even blows if I just connect the feed to the starter solenoid (with the starter not fitted in the car). The engine turns over when cranked by hand and the there does not appear to be any damage the teeth of the large cog which the starter engages on.

Any suggestions please- the only positive is that we now know how to take out and refit a starter to a C class !

Raising the fuse rating will eventually cause a wiring burn out...Fuses are there for a purpose !

I suggest disconnecting the starter feeds, isolate and then try the start position on the keyswitch. Then reconnect the low tension side to the starter and see if the fuse blows.
After that the heavy duty side and see if the fuse blows.

There must be a short somewhere

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi
Any chance of photos of the cable end of the starter in situ.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Really sounds like the trigger wire has been pinched between two parts somewhere.
The fuse should never blow without the starter connected.
As above, do not be tempted to use anything bigger than a 20A fuse on this, unless you like barbecued car.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Im no expert on this but by what you are saying the trigger wiring as Alex is saying is shorting. I would fit a small fuse to replace the one that keeps blowing. Do not connect the wire to the solenoid, make sure it is not touching anything and then turn the key. If the fuse blows you know it`s not the starter but the wiring between the key and solenoid. Hope this helps.

OP
R

Rob Corfield

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Estate 220 CDI
starter fuse blowing

Thanks everbody for good advice - but have realised I had only connected one of the two cables to the main body of the starter - at third attempt starter now works - operator error !!

Not going over 20 amp on fuse !

Car failed to start but fired up on replacement of original defective injector !

The engine now runs fine but I have an additional problem - after about 5 minutes of running the engine a malfunction comes up saying - engine oil visit workshop - I have checked the oil level electronically but it says its OK - when I turn the ignition off the warning disappears only to pop up again after 5 minutes driving

Any ideas ??

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
slightly overfilled?

jj1975

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 c220cdi 2002
Thanks everbody for good advice - but have realised I had only connected one of the two cables to the main body of the starter - at third attempt starter now works - operator error !!

Not going over 20 amp on fuse !

Car failed to start but fired up on replacement of original defective injector !

The engine now runs fine but I have an additional problem - after about 5 minutes of running the engine a malfunction comes up saying - engine oil visit workshop - I have checked the oil level electronically but it says its OK - when I turn the ignition off the warning disappears only to pop up again after 5 minutes driving

Any ideas ??

You can check exact amount of oil in litres by presing the reset button when the key is turn position 1 and the small screen show miles the car has done and after volumeter show up turn the key position 2 and with arrows on steering wheel find menu for showing oil level hope this helps

OP
R

Rob Corfield

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Estate 220 CDI
Oil Level

Thanks - really helpful - how would someone get to know this stuff ! - first time on the forum and wish I had used it before.

Oil level reading says 6.4L - which I presume is OK as capacity is 6.5L

I have had some diesel spraying around the engine compartment could this have affected the sensor ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All oils are non conductive, not 100% sure on diesel as I have never tested it

Nicholast

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi w204

Did you get help?

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
He realised he had only connected one of the two cables to the starter.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom