Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL203 C220 CDI SE Sports Coupe. 2002.
Hi.
N10 fusebox, relay 1ks
My starter relay has 4 pins.
They are numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Which ones are Terminal 30 and 87 please.
I need to jump these to get the starter motor to start me as my electroplate lockout switch is goosed....

Alternitavely, will running a 12v feed to the signal wire on the starter motor solenoid work.

Kind regards.

Stuck in France!!

Last edited:
OP
Dogfish

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shows a diagram on relay so going to use that and multitester to find live.

Hope that I am last on the euro tunnel train to be loaded or everyone will have to wait for me to get her cranking and started.

I love this car, so many challenges to overcome!.

OP
Dogfish

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update.
Sorted the pinouts, used a jumper wire to energise the starter over the signal wire. Click. No start.
Checked and the starter relay is good as the multi tester shows a resistance and the relay clicks when 12v applied.

Starter brushes probably worn out I think..., bang with hammer and starter turned once and back to clicking..

I now have whipped out the engine mount on that side as well as the rear crossmsmber at the gearbox so there is enough room to get to the top bolt by dropping the engine.
Had to use my 1/4 inch drive extensions right back to the back of the gearbox but finally cracked it and got the starter out. OPened it up and the brushes are indeed worn out. That'll be a new starter then and probably not the interlock switch on the electroplate!!

Using an ECP Remanufactured one. Hope I don't regret it, don't fancy doing this again anytime soon!
Putting it all back tomorrow.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Update.
Sorted the pinouts, used a jumper wire to energise the starter over the signal wire. Click. No start.
Checked and the starter relay is good as the multi tester shows a resistance and the relay clicks when 12v applied.

Starter brushes probably worn out I think..., bang with hammer and starter turned once and back to clicking..

I now have whipped out the engine mount on that side as well as the rear crossmsmber at the gearbox so there is enough room to get to the top bolt by dropping the engine.
Had to use my 1/4 inch drive extensions right back to the back of the gearbox but finally cracked it and got the starter out. OPened it up and the brushes are indeed worn out. That'll be a new starter then and probably not the interlock switch on the electroplate!!

Using an ECP Remanufactured one. Hope I don't regret it, don't fancy doing this again anytime soon!
Putting it all back tomorrow.

You're lucky ..... I spent about 4 hours removing the starter from my Smart Roadster last week. (Just hope I can remember what goes where when I refit the new one tomorrow :D)

OP
Dogfish

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you get it back in ok EmilysDad? Anything left over?
Whatever is left over reduces the weight and the car should go faster!
My startre is back in but the electroplate still needs doing, switch Y3/something so the code reader says. I need to recover from 2 days under the car so looking like next weekend now. In the meantime I am going to disect the starter motor, just for the giggles!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Did you get it back in ok EmilysDad? Anything left over?
Whatever is left over reduces the weight and the car should go faster!
My startre is back in but the electroplate still needs doing, switch Y3/something so the code reader says. I need to recover from 2 days under the car so looking like next weekend now. In the meantime I am going to disect the starter motor, just for the giggles!

Yes, all completed this afternoon, nothing left over :) I was quite pleased because, as it was over a week ago when I stripped it, I was worried I'd have forgotten what went where. :D

I've never ever had to remove so many bits to even see a starter, let alone remove it .... all the fuel injection manifold, alternator - which means loads of stuff in the wheel arch and that's after the whole sub-frame had been slightly lowered

OP
Dogfish

Dogfish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, wasn't this difficult on cars from the 60's and 70's!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, wasn't this difficult on cars from the 60's and 70's!

It certainly wasn't ...... but everything is difficult on Roadster (as Lostkiwi will agree)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom