Starting Error-2003 SLK230!

Jim Shores

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK230 Sport, 2010 E550 Luxury
I swapped out the key fob and now I am getting the "Start Error" in the odometer box!? I was very careful when I swapped out the electronics into the new case which I purchased on eBay. I inserted the key and initially the car started and ran for 10 seconds and shut-down. Intermittently the remote was working for the doors locks. Everything works on the car when I turn the key but nothing happens when I try to start the car. Obviously it does not recognize the key...any thoughts? -Jim

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I swapped out the key fob and now I am getting the "Start Error" in the odometer box!? I was very careful when I swapped out the electronics into the new case which I purchased on eBay. I inserted the key and initially the car started and ran for 10 seconds and shut-down. Intermittently the remote was working for the doors locks. Everything works on the car when I turn the key but nothing happens when I try to start the car. Obviously it does not recognize the key...any thoughts? -Jim
Maybe put the electronics back into the old key and see if that works first ? And welcome to the forum

OP
Jim Shores

Jim Shores

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK230 Sport, 2010 E550 Luxury
Precisely my next step! I just left the Mercedes store and ordered 2 regular keys without the remotes too. I hope swapping fobs back will let me start the car. Mercedes say I have to bring the car there when I pick-up the extra keys. I don't feel like paying a tow bill on top of $135 for the 2 keys. -Jim

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Precisely my next step! I just left the Mercedes store and ordered 2 regular keys without the remotes too. I hope swapping fobs back will let me start the car. Mercedes say I have to bring the car there when I pick-up the extra keys. I don't feel like paying a tow bill on top of $135 for the 2 keys. -Jim
Good luck buddy , hope it works !

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Something in the swap can't have happened correctly. The IFZ ECU can't see the key code hence the start error in the dash.

Let us know how you get on.

Oh and welcome to the forums!!!

Top Bottom