Starting my first project

littlelegs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1980 350sl
Well, Im about to start my first mini project on a 1980 350sl. The body work is sound and also the mechanic's. I am lucky there, so it's the interior. I have looked through pages here for items I will need, switches, gear lever console, but have not found them. Also looked on ebay.
Are used parts hard to find or am I looking in the wrong places.:(

And to all who replied to my "rear seat" Thread, your right, why bother!

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
hi

looking forward to seeing your progress. Great cars.

see my restoration site here for some inspiration:

http://r107restoration.blogspot.com/

feel free to contact me for any advice and i'll help where i can.

there are two main regular parts suppliers on ebay - other than that keep your eyes peeled on auctions running and also dont discount the dealers on some parts.

you say the bodywork is fine - are you 100% sure - these hide rust very well. Mine looked great before i started poking around.

Have a feel under the bumper of your front bumper - if the inner bumper irons are covered in rust then its likely you'll be doing a lot of work on the bumpers like i did. the good news is that if your chrome is OK and the stiffeners are present & intact then its just your time you'll have to spend.

Last edited:
OP
L

littlelegs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1980 350sl
Thank you. I will start to take some pics before I start and at every stage of the progress. Just so I can look back and think " I've done that"! It's nice to know help is at hand and I will start with the bumpers now. The boot, all wheel arches are fine and I will lift the carpets over the weekend so then we'll see??

Steve.

will mcg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1980 350SL
Hi there -

i'll be interested too as i've just bought a 1980 350sl. paintwork ok(ish) some rust and it did have a pretty poor respray done at some point. engine runs well and will need to replace soft top fabric at some point (tears in plastic windows). i'm also looking for bits and pieces (interior light assembly, clips to hold on chrome piece to door cill etc) so if you find any sites please let me know and i'll do the same.

have fun

- Will

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its always nice to follow members projects and see how they are making out,, look forward to hearing from you as well

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom