Starting W124 after 5 years. Replacing the old petrol?

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
Before attempting to start W124 after leaving it in the garage for more than 5 years. I believe I should throw away the old petrol and put New 5 litres in.
I am not an expert mechanic. So, taking the petrol tank and cleaning it is not an option. I can think of 2 options.
Option 1: Siphon the old petrol out. This will leave some in the tank and pipes.
Option 2: Disconnect the pipe going to the fuel filter. This may be a better option, but:
1. Will it take the petrol out?
2. I can change the fuel filter.
3. Will it introduce air into the system and make the first start more difficult?
It will be great to know your thoughts.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
How much is in the tank? Does it smell stale?

OP
M

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
How much is in the tank? Does it smell stale?
Less than quarter of a tank. Removed the oil cap and smelled. Not sure, probably stale.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I’d be inclined to stick 20l of fresh in the top and fit a new filter I think. Probably save a mess on your garage floor

OP
M

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
I’d be inclined to stick 20l of fresh in the top and fit a new filter I think. Probably save a mess on your garage floor
Thank you for the reply. Fitting a new petrol filter will introduce air into the system. Will the air find its way out through the petrol tank or will it make the first start a bit more difficult?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The first start will take a few seconds until the pump pushes the fuel through. It’s not uncommon for pumps to seize up through long periods of standing, but worth a try.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I would siphon out the tank. Then Remove the line to filter and remove the last dregs, then replace the filter and reassmble. Add fresh fuel and see how you go.
Hows the battery on the car.

OP
M

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
I would siphon out the tank. Then Remove the line to filter and remove the last dregs, then replace the filter and reassmble. Add fresh fuel and see how you go.
Hows the battery on the car.
Battery is good. Thanks to CTEK conditioner.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if you live down south esso super unleaded 99 contains NO ethanol garbage

we are just switching over from 5% filth to 10% filth on std unleaded - u don't want either near your car....

ethanol rots old rubber hoses and seal, eats metal and absorbs water so everything gets destroyed

if you threw 15 litres of super unleaded in and get it mixed in, it'll probably run just as good as it ever did with the old stuff its got

Mercedes-Benz​

E10 petrol is cleared for use in the vast majority of all Mercedes Benz vehicles with petrol engines, except:
  • First generation direct injection C200 CGI (W203), CLK 200 CGI series (C209) of the years 2002 – 2005;
  • Models not equipped with three-way catalysts, models retrofitted with three-way catalysts or produced with a carburettor. These are mainly vehicles older than 25 years.

Ford​

E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding:
  • Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.
Personal imports not approved by Ford of Europe are not included in the above statement.

Last edited:
OP
M

Me22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210
if you live down south esso super unleaded 99 contains NO ethanol garbage

we are just switching over from 5% filth to 10% filth on std unleaded - u don't want either near your car....

ethanol rots old rubber hoses and seal, eats metal and absorbs water so everything gets destroyed

if you threw 15 litres of super unleaded in and get it mixed in, it'll probably run just as good as it ever did with the old stuff its got

Mercedes-Benz​

E10 petrol is cleared for use in the vast majority of all Mercedes Benz vehicles with petrol engines, except:
  • First generation direct injection C200 CGI (W203), CLK 200 CGI series (C209) of the years 2002 – 2005;
  • Models not equipped with three-way catalysts, models retrofitted with three-way catalysts or produced with a carburettor. These are mainly vehicles older than 25 years.

Ford​

E10 is cleared for use in all petrol driven Ford models sold in Europe since 1992 excluding:
  • Ford Mondeo 1.8 SCI from 2003 to 2007.
Personal imports not approved by Ford of Europe are not included in the above statement.
Thank you for the suggestion. The car is old. So, E10 will not be suitable. Good to know about esso super unleaded 99. I didn't know we can mix the premium and super.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom