starts eventually.......

L

longlostpoet

hello all.
my 1986 W126 300SE has suddenly developed a fault when starting.
it will turn over ( lumpy ) for about 2 minutes before picking up and a further 2 minutes before a decent idling speed is reached.
then it will drive and start ok for the rest of the day.
I suspect dirty plugs but I am unsure what may have caused this if correct.
any ideas on the fault and how to rectify would be appreciated.
( I know how to change the plugs, but want to explore other possibilities first )

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 w210 E240 91k (Nov13)
Lucky guy! I had a great 10+ years with W126s. Had I any idea of MB's later attempts I would have restored my 500SE which had been left parked up for 3 years instead of having it removed. (I think it only needed some valve seals and the tank would be flying again).

Don't quite understand the 'turn over (lumpy)' statement. Is this a tired sounding crank for 2 minutes before it ignites?

OP
L

longlostpoet

what I should have said is " it sounds as if it is missing a couple of times while it turns over".
battery is new and heavy duty.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

Haylands

Could be leaking fuel injectors, you switch off the day before and overnight they leak petrol into the cylinders, you start it in the morning and the engine is flooded...

One way to check this is to floor the accelerator as you start it in the morning, if it clears earlier then it is likely it's flooded...

You could also turn it over a few times then remove the plugs and see if they are wet....

If it is this then you can get the injectors reconditioned or get some second hand ones....

Plugs tend to work or not (unless they are very old and very worn)so I wouldn't think it's them

OP
L

longlostpoet

thanks, i'll try what you suggest.

OP
L

longlostpoet

changed HT leads and plugs, problem solved.

Top Bottom