Steady driving vs Cruise control

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Pretty sure any Mercedes (and this is a Mercedes forum after all) with cruise control would have no problem maintaining a constant speed up hill...

Yes this is a Mercedes forum, and our cars cannot influence what other drivers do or the way their car performs. A 200 124 fully loaded would not do any better than my ex Fiesta 1,4 Sure any car could be driven in a way to maintain that 70mph but a sensible owner would not chose to do that. It could mean 1 mile shall we say in third gear in some instances

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yes this is a Mercedes forum, and our cars cannot influence what other drivers do or the way their car performs. A 200 124 fully loaded would not do any better than my ex Fiesta 1,4 Sure any car could be driven in a way to maintain that 70mph but a sensible owner would not chose to do that. It could mean 1 mile shall we say in third gear in some instances

I'm sure that means something but I'm lost to it's relevance here. Any Merc with CC will maintain a steady speed. I have never noticed any significant difference in mpg using CC or manual throttle

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And whats wrong with that? I'll drive like this on windy A and B roads, 60mph 3rd gear without changing, let the engine rev and have better engine braking and power on tap to blast out the bends....

We are talking motorway, and going up long inclines in a little car with not much umph.
It up to you how you treat the car, I would rather edge the car as fast as possible in top without labouring the engine, this is why taking a run at the next incline can help when driving a small car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm sure that means something but I'm lost to it's relevance here. Any Merc with CC will maintain a steady speed. I have never noticed any significant difference in mpg using CC or manual throttle

Ever driven a loaded 124 200

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
i dont really care ....:p....its Christmas eve:D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
We are talking motorway, and going up long inclines in a little car with not much umph.
It up to you how you treat the car, I would rather edge the car as fast as possible in top without labouring the engine, this is why taking a run at the next incline can help when driving a small car

Are we? I thought we were talking of Mercedes with adequate 'umph'

If driving an automatic it will be in the correct gear for the engine load and road speed.

Stick it on CC and enjoy the drive in comfort and relaxation ;)

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

Most small cars I have driven have quite short gearing so are spinning away at a high rpm (say 4k at 80mph) in top gear, thats plenty of power to get up an incline in top gear. Might use a bit more fuel but not massively so.

Anyway, most small cars I've driven have been rental cars, treatment has been the last thing on my mind....

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are we? I thought we were talking of Mercedes with adequate 'umph'

If driving an automatic it will be in the correct gear for the engine load and road speed.

Stick it on CC and enjoy the drive in comfort and relaxation ;)

Still nothing to do with what was asked, and still nothing to do with what others can or cannot do :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Still nothing to do with what was asked, and still nothing to do with what others can or cannot do :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Stick as many smilie faces as you wish Malc but it is what we are talking about.

CC vs Manual 'constant speed' CC will always give a true constant speed and in my experience no significant difference in mpg for a true constant speed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stick as many smilie faces as you wish Malc but it is what we are talking about.

CC vs Manual 'constant speed' CC will always give a true constant speed and in my experience no significant difference in mpg for a true constant speed.

Thats because you are probably a lousy driver, but could never admit it, I mean obviously it will maintain a constant speed, thats what it is there for.

Some of us are capable of reading the road a long way off weighing up all situations, I guess that if you do not have that ability now you never will.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Both of you drive big 5litre cars. Is 1 to 2% better fuel economy really important. If not, why is this thread going to another dimension.

If it is, you need a diesel.

LOL!!

I couldn't give a fig about mpg Steve, as I'm sure you realise. :cool:

That doesn't negate my argument regarding CC vs manual control though. ;)

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Both of you drive big 5litre cars. Is 1 to 2% better fuel economy really important. If not, why is this thread going to another dimension.

or get one of each;):D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Its going the other way as he can never ever be wrong

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats because you are probably a lousy driver, but could never admit it, I mean obviously it will maintain a constant speed, thats what it is there for.

Some of us are capable of reading the road a long way off weighing up all situations, I guess that if you do not have that ability now you never will.

Malcolm...im sorry but think your being a little rough:( peace to all men n that;)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05

Why must you resort to personal insults Malcolm? Where have I criticised your driving?

If you cannot debate the argument on experience and logic perhaps you should remain silent.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I never drive with CC. Not for MPG. I prefer the speed tronic. I have big feet, I find the pedals the right place to rest my feet. I can adjust my road speed if need be, or just rest my foot on the go pedal to keep it at the set speed.

Mental note, set to 70 not 100 like I did once, helps with licence points.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I never drive with CC. Not for MPG. I prefer the speed tronic. I have big feet, I find the pedals the right place to rest my feet. I can adjust my road speed if need be, or just rest my foot on the go pedal to keep it at the set speed.

Mental note, set to 70 not 100 like I did once, helps with licence points.

Use the cruise & rest your big feet on the floor ...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom