Steady driving vs Cruise control

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I never drive with CC. Not for MPG. I prefer the speed tronic. I have big feet, I find the pedals the right place to rest my feet. I can adjust my road speed if need be, or just rest my foot on the go pedal to keep it at the set speed.

Mental note, set to 70 not 100 like I did once, helps with licence points.

Speedtronic is defo a very useful tool. Freedom to accelerate etc.. as needed with the assurance of not exceeding the desired max (unless you floor it!!) ;)

trapperjohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 300D 24v,
On long journeys I always use CC. By reading the road ahead I use "the stick" to control my speed in most cases. I got rid of a clutch pedal when I went to an automatic, that was a good move. So minimum use accelerator pedal works for me.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Speedtronic is defo a very useful tool. Freedom to accelerate etc.. as needed with the assurance of not exceeding the desired max (unless you floor it!!) ;)

Kickdown overrides it just as a brake disengages CC. I'd not be without speedtronic but I find driving with CC deeply unnverving as the car moves and accelerates without my right leg, it freaks me out

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Use the cruise & rest your big feet on the floor ...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But then my knees are more bent. The natural driving position should be your legs comfortable on the pedals and when fully depressed it should not require you to stretch. I cannot fathom when driving a car you could be more comfortable with your feet away from the pedals...

LOL!!!!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Kickdown overrides it just as a brake disengages CC. I'd not be without speedtronic but I find driving with CC deeply unnverving as the car moves and accelerates without my right leg, it freaks me out

I know what you mean. I felt the same at first with CC now I feel the same with DTR. There is definitely a feeling of loss of control. A passenger holding the steering wheel!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Why must you resort to personal insults Malcolm? Where have I criticised your driving?

If you cannot debate the argument on experience and logic perhaps you should remain silent.

I can debate quite happily and I have not insulted you at all,, you claim that your CC can perform as well as you can. this being the case what else is there to this.

Further more I am not the one with any problem in getting my car to múch better fuel figures without CC, it is you as you have stated,,, yes I do not care how much fuel I use and I use distronic everywhere I can.

Experience and logic, I have been around a long time Peter, and nothing wrong with me in this respect

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I can debate quite happily and I have not insulted you at all,, you claim that your CC can perform as well as you can. this being the case what else is there to this.

Further more I am not the one with any problem in getting my car to múch better fuel figures without CC, it is you as you have stated,,, yes I do not care how much fuel I use and I use distronic everywhere I can.

Experience and logic, I have been around a long time Peter, and nothing wrong with me in this respect

Again, I'm sure there's something in that post .. :confused:

Doesn't matter how long one has been around Malc, it has no barring on one's ability to reason or argue logically. Evidence would suggest otherwise...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Again, I'm sure there's something in that post .. :confused:

Doesn't matter how long one has been around Malc, it has no barring on one's ability to reason or argue logically. Evidence would suggest otherwise...

Why is everything getting turned around to paint me black, you are good at that, again you are the one that cannot get much difference in fuel, with or without CC, not me thank you, I can make good savings if I chose to

trapperjohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 300D 24v,
Thats because you are probably a lousy driver, but could never admit it, I mean obviously it will maintain a constant speed, thats what it is there for.

Some of us are capable of reading the road a long way off weighing up all situations, I guess that if you do not have that ability now you never will.

Whiter than white. I think not Malc.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Why is everything getting turned around to paint me black, you are good at that, again you are the one that cannot get much difference in fuel, with or without CC, not me thank you, I can make good savings if I chose to

Paranoid/insecure, you Malcolm? Surely not..

I only post what I have experienced. If that' doesn't agree with your experience, far enough. Don't take it as a dig at you! Be confident in your own experience Malc. No need to be so defensive!

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
Now now ladies, lets put our handbags down and have a festive mince pie!

I'm sure you are both equally right and wrong :D

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Now now ladies, lets put our handbags down and have a festive mince pie!

I'm sure you are both equally right and wrong :D

Equally right or wrong...have you read Animal Farm?:lol::lol:

Merry Christmas one and all.;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Paranoid/insecure, you Malcolm? Surely not..

I only post what I have experienced. If that' doesn't agree with your experience, far enough. Don't take it as a dig at you! Be confident in your own experience Malc. No need to be so defensive!

This is the whole point isnt it :D you have said that you can only post what you have experienced, so if I can do much better than you perhaps you are not doing things very well, and you are the one that cannot accept that.

No economy run was ever been won using CC.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Peter and Malc...back on topic or I close the thread!!:lol:

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Hey people I'm pretty sure that my steady driving on the motorway can achieve better mpg results than cruise control (at the same speed).. Or is that not even possible ?

I find when I have cruise control active I'm constntly slowing the car down and speeding back up but when i have control of the throttle I anticipate the road better

What's everyone else's view as this is my first merc and first car with cruise control

Without scientific equipment and a fully set up test it is impossible to tell as many of the opinions on here tell you.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Analysis:

For some, CC works. For others, it doesn't.

For some, foot on accelerator works. For others, it doesn't.

All opinions - even opposing ones - are valid.

No-one is 100% right. No-one is 100% wrong.

Merry Christmas.!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Analysis:

For some, CC works. For others, it doesn't.

For some, foot on accelerator works. For others, it doesn't.

All opinions - even opposing ones - are valid.

No-one is 100% right. No-one is 100% wrong.

Merry Christmas.!

Emm... I think you're wrong.

:lol::lol::lol:

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Neither CC or my right foot are very economical for me, I set the former too high and have a lead insole in the latter.....

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom