steering - adjustment of the steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyk

Reaction score
Website
www.supanet.com
Hi
can anyone tell me if it is possable to adjust the steering box on a w123 240td to take out the free play i have in my system, i have checked all the ball joints and all are fine so it looks like the box and i know a replacement will cost £££
thanks for your time
andy  

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
steering

Hi Andy,

You can adjust the steering box on the 123, but you should be careful. You will never get all the freeplay out.  Even if you get a recon box, they never replace the part that actually wears. Because this part is  very expensive and only available from MB.

You have to slacken the 19mm nut on the top of the steering box. The one with the 6mm allen key bolt in the middle. You screw the bolt out to tighten the steering. You will NOT be able to get all the freeplay out. If you overtighten the nut. The car will not self center and the steering will be very tight. This WILL cause you a problem when trying to control the vehilce. If you are DIY, I would let a proffesional carryout the adjustment. Otherwise be very very careful.

You will end up going round and island, and that where you will stay, while you try and straighten the steering.

Regards,
Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

Just a thought?!!?!? You might post the rest of us where you are likely to be travelling while testing. Just in case!!!!!

OP
A

andyk

Reaction score
Website
www.supanet.com
steering

Hi Andy
thanks for the info all i needed was to know which way to turn the bolt,and it will only be a little at a time, you dont need to worry about my testing unless you live around blackpool.
Andyk

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
steering

I have to go to Glasgow, fortunately somebody is paying for me to fly.

I wonder if I will be able to see a 123 driving continually around a island from a mile high.

Regards
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom