Steering airbags

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
I'll be replacing one soon. Any issues / procedures ??
Standard 'poverty' class.

Also I've noticed so comparatively expensive. Is there such a demand? Even from breakers (if you find any with one ) and even ebay they cost many hundreds. Older models are much cheaper??? and even the new w204 cheaper than w203. Just don't get it. perhaps more 'careless' people driving w203's :shock:

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
when i took mine off, i did this
disconnected the battery
remove 2 x torx via the back of the wheel
pull airbag forward, disconnect the center airbag firing wire
disconnect wheel control wires

STORE the airbag face up, so that if it did missfire, it will not send the metal back plate in your direction.

return power when all is complete and the job is done, if you connect up power and you have not connected the firing wires, then you will get the SRS error that will need star to reset

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do not turn on the ignition with it unplugged,,you will need STAR if you do to turn off the warning

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
have removed many, many without disconnecting battery. as mark and malcolm say avoid turning ignition on with bag disconnected. i suppose familiarity breeds contempt but we never worry too much about which way up an unplugged airbag faces :neutral:

storage, transport and disposal of airbags fall under hazardous materials regulation. so reputable breakers may not be inclinded to retail airbags or seat belt retractors. this may explain high prices asked by those prepared to ignore regulation and take the risk.

OP
cleverdicky

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
What about refitting?
Already got the old one off (has blown).
And the engine has been running with it still connected - while blown. But NOT disconnected. Is there a difference?

switches, frame etc. fine to refit, just need to replace airbag module + cover.
But two questions.
IS there a difference (to star?) between off or blown
When refitting could it re-blow as it had been triggered.

i.e. refit after reset. Or reset THEN refit?

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
I'll be replacing one soon. Any issues / procedures ??
Standard 'poverty' class.

Also I've noticed so comparatively expensive. Is there such a demand? Even from breakers (if you find any with one ) and even ebay they cost many hundreds. Older models are much cheaper??? and even the new w204 cheaper than w203. Just don't get it. perhaps more 'careless' people driving w203's :shock:

Nobody repairs the older model cars, hense no demand for older model airbags.

W203 are in demand as plenty of salvage W203s are still being repaired.

OP
cleverdicky

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
That's what I'm doing a w203 late 04 (I thought it was old)
Picked the wrong one to do up obviously... :(
still any info still appreciated. And whereabouts of a module cheap

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You refit the air bag and the module..the module controls the air bag, so it needs resetting to allow the system to recognise it. When replacing blown air bags and the control module always disconnect the battery, have only ever seen one blowing on a citroen, the mechanic was luckily in the foot well reconnecting to the old module.. so battery off, then get the airbag light reset.. a disconnected air bag cannot blow.. as the detonator needs a power supply to activate it ..hence the module..

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom