Steering box adjustment

C

C180 Chris

Hi All,

I want to adjust a little play out of my steering box but can't see where the adjuster is, i have taken the metal cover shield off.

The car is my S320 W140:D

Any idea's??:D

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
With the engine running, and with the steering in the straight ahead position, how much play is there at the rim of the steering wheel?

Has anyone ever taken the steering wheel off the column? The steering box becomes a little tighter at its straight ahead position - if the steering wheel has been off this might now be wrongly aligned.

OP
C

C180 Chris

Not sure in MM, but way too much to pass an MOT, even for that type of steering arrangement ( I know to expect more than in a rack and pinion system)

Has been like that since i got the car,but it's MOT time so need it nipped up:D

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>but way too much to pass an MOT

Really!, that's very surprising.

You are allowed 75mm at the wheel rim for MOT - that's 3 inches!

However, the MB spec is 25mm, 1 inch.

For so much play, I would begin to look elsewhere first. Make absolutely sure there is no play elsewhere in the linkage. Make absolutely sure the steering box is properly centred (on some model of steering box, there's a plug and a centreing pin can be made to set the box straight ahead)

Although for W124, and the work is much more involved than what you're thinking of, see;

http://www.davidpetryk.net/Mercedes/Steering.htm

The centreing tool is shown in picture 39

On this page, there's also a cutting from the MB manual which shows how the steering box has a different response on centre.

OP
C

C180 Chris

Wow! Thats a lot of play,
I should imagine mine is in the order of about 1.5 - 2 inches. I thought that this level of play would be an instant failure!!

Should i see movement on the bottom of the steering box then see the drag link take up the slack?
The slop feels like it is completely not engaged at all rather than feeling as though it is taking up slack on a link, does this sound right to you?
Thanks for the super photo link, i had hoped it was more just a job of adjusting a screw to tighten things up a touch.

Many thanks,

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>i had hoped it was more just a job of adjusting a screw to tighten things up a touch.

Once you are *absolutely* sure adjusting the steering box is needed, then, it is a simple adjustment - there's way more in that link than you'll need.

My reason for questioning your desire to tweak the steering box is twofold;

1) It's easy to maladjust the steering box, and make the steering too tight, losing feel. (I've seen some so badly adjusted that you need to forcibly turn the wheel back to centre after a turn!)

2) It's possible that there is real wear elsewhere in the system, or, mal-alignment of the steering wheel and steering box, and the steering box play adjustment isn't actually needed.

To check the steering, have an assistant slowly rock the steering wheel while you inspect and feel each and every joint in the entire steering system, including the idler. If you find *any* play in components other than the steering box, repair these first.

turnipsock

Reaction score
There is a lock nut and and an allen key on top of the steering box. adjust it there.

At worst, there should be about half an inch of play on the steering wheel.

make sure its not a steering damper problem first.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom