Steering noise

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
My 2002 C220cdi estate makes a dreadful noise on full lock (left or right). It doesn't seem to matter waht speed I am doing. As soon as the steering wheel gets to the end of its travel, a loud noise starts.

I have checked the power steering fluid, the level is OK. I suppose that this now points to wear in the power steering pump, is there any other likely cause?

It has been doing it for a few weeks now, and seems to have started about the time that the serpentine belt was changed. Could there be a connection? I don't really understand how a new belt could cause the problem.

Another point, probably not relevant, I have the self-levelling suspension option, so the steering fluid is also the SLS fluid.

Also, I am getting close to MOT test time. Would this be a failure?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Possible the new belt hasn't been tensioned correctly and so slips..

OP
duncanh

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
Possible the new belt hasn't been tensioned correctly and so slips..

I would like to think that it is something easy like this, but there is no adjustment for the belt tension, so I cannot try a different tension. The tensioner is automatic, and it looks OK.

As the old belt had done over 200K miles, it had probably stretched a little, so the new one may be a little bit tighter.

Would this cause a horrible loud screaming sound, but only on full lock?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yes.

The adjustment may be automatic but it's not impossible for the tensioner to be assembled incorrectly. There was a thread on the very topic just recently

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
another possibility is that the alternator pulley has failed. have a look at the belt at idle and with the steering at full lock, does it jump up and down like a jumpy-up-and-down thing? if this is the case the screaming could be the alt pulley, they can make a chirruping noise that becomes quite loud.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Beware of holding the steering hard against full lock, the hydraulics will be pushing as hard as they can and might (if you bash a kerb or pothole) bend, break or otherwise missalign your steering and front suspension.

Doing this is a fail on your advanced driving test, its not sympathetic to the vehicle.

That said it may be your belt or tensioner, but have you checked the fluid level?
I have seen a 190 with a worn out belt tensioner damper exhibit this sort of behaviour.
A badly worn pump might also make some nasty noises when heavily loaded.

OP
duncanh

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it is the alternator pulley!

I read somewhere that this noise could be the alternator pulley clutch failure. It can be tested by removing the belt and checking whether the alternator pulley will revolve anticlockwise. If it does, then I need a new alternator pulley.

I tried this, and mine will turn in both directions, which I believe proves that the pulley needs to be replaced.

Can anyone give me an indication of what is involved? Any special tools required? An indication of costs if I don't do it myself?

What will happen if I just ignore the problem for a while? Am I likely to do any major damage?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do have the work sheet for this,many do it in situ without special tools

OP
duncanh

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm

Can you please email the instructions to me - duncanh99(at)gmail(dot)com

I was told that the pulley cannot be done without a special splined tool to hold the pulley while it is being undone. If you know of a way round this, please let me know.

OP
duncanh

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alternator pulley change

Malcolm,

You mentioned yesterday that you have a worksheet for this job.

Can you please email it to me (email address above)

Thanks

OP
duncanh

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alternator pulley change

For some unknown reason Malcolm is no longer reading (or responding to) this thread.

I have ordered a new alternator pulley and a pulley extraction tool.

Can someone who has done this before comment on my proposed approach please?

1. Loosen belt tensioner and remove serpentine belt
2. Take plastic cap off the end of the pulley (how is this done? is it just a push on cover or is it screwed on?)
3. Insert the long pin iof the extractor into the alternator shaft, lock it tight against something solid (chassis) with breaker bar
4. Undo the pulley using the nut in the middle of the extractor (I am hoping that I can get a ring spanner on it of there is enough clearance). I am assuming that I turn this anticlockwise, can someone confirm?
5. Unscrew pulley.
6. Refitting is the reverse of removal

How does that sound? As I plan to do this in situ, I hope that there is enough clearance around the front of the alternator. I haven't got the removal tool yet, so I don't know how big it is.

Would this job be easier from above or below?

At the end of the process, i hope to be able to turn my steering to full lock without wierd noises.

By the way, the car passed its MOT yesterday, so I look forward to another twelve months of interesting challenges (and continued cheap and enjoyable motoring).

I started this thread thinking it was a steering problem, it now appears to be electrical. For this reason the thread is now in the wrong place. So I hope the Mods accept my apologies and are welcome to move it if they see fit.

Thanks

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
I read somewhere that this noise could be the alternator pulley clutch failure. It can be tested by removing the belt and checking whether the alternator pulley will revolve anticlockwise. If it does, then I need a new alternator pulley.

I tried this, and mine will turn in both directions, which I believe proves that the pulley needs to be replaced.

Can anyone give me an indication of what is involved? Any special tools required? An indication of costs if I don't do it myself?

What will happen if I just ignore the problem for a while? Am I likely to do any major damage?

I'm not sure what you read was correct.
The pulley should turn both ways, but it will free wheel in the reverse direction. What I mean is, when turned in the correct direction, the alternator shaft will turn too. When turned in the wrong direction, the shaft will not turn with the pulley.
When mine failed, it was jammed and would not free wheel in the reverse direction, casing the belt to jump about on idle.
I am hoping someone will leap in and confirm this.

OP
duncanh

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fixed at last

After almost a year, I have now fixed the problem.

Alexander Patient was correct as usual - it was the alternator clutch pulley.

I bought one from eBay, said it was for a 611 engine, but unfortunately not mine. The 220 cdi engine fitted to the w202 and w210 has a different pulley from the one fitted to the W203. I got the wrong one, my fault entirely.

I got the right one, fitted it, and the problem now solved.

If anyone needs an alternator clutch pulley for a w202 or W210 220 cdi, PM me. It is a genuine one (A 611 155 02 15).

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom