Steering -track rods wearing ? 97. E300 td

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, just failed mot due to play in the 10 mm steel rods which connect the track rod ends to the steering rack. i have never heard of this before. play in the track rod ends themselves i have heard of. where the steel rod enters the steering rack what is the mechanics of the joint? what actually wares? the steering is perfect,no wandering very possitive, the only thing i have noticed is a light knocking noise over the bumps, why if this is the case does the wear matter ? hopefully this is the cause and the anoying bumping will stop. does anyone know what actually wears and are the rods available as a spare part ? the other mot failure was the indicator bulbs fading to white, lost all the orange, again another new one on me. herbiemercman.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
usually on the inner end of the track rod you are talking about, theres another balljoint, inside the steering rack boot. this allows the rack to move with the hub over bumps etc. its that ball joint that wares. it used to be very common on early high mileage mondeos. remove the clip from the steering rack boot, pull away from the main rack, remove outer end from the hub assembly and the whole track rod unscrews from the main rack. it often needs the help of a big adjustable spanner or pipe wrench/stilsons to get it to move initially. not usually hard to do, access is usually the problem! ive never done one on a merc though!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and re the bulbs, they are now basically painted orange so the lenses are clear. over time the "paint" bakes and flakes off, leaving a clear bulb/white light. very common. new bulbs required.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
and re the bulbs, they are now basically painted orange so the lenses are clear. over time the "paint" bakes and flakes off, leaving a clear bulb/white light. very common. new bulbs required.

I wonder how a colour blind MOT tester gets on:shock:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well would a colour blind person get a driving license? you have to be a driver to be an mot tester. if its not an issue for driving, then i cant comment. possibly they notice the colour change from whatever they think orange looks like fades to white as i believe that white is white whether youre colour blind or not. not sure though. im sure someone that does will inform me in due course! :rolleyes:

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
many thanks to you all, this is a great club. i now need to contact my local garage to see if they have the tracking kit to ensure i maintain the tracking settings, i had this done some months ago with laser equipment to stop inside edges of the tyres scuffing. herbiemercman.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
All you'll disturb is the toe setting.

One of these will enable you to set it up again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gunson-G4008-...14&_trkparms=72:1689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Failing that, or even in conjunction with that, if you take off a track rod with the track rod end in place, and set a sash cramp just to nip it, you'll be able to transfer your track rod end, and set up the new one against the sash cramp jaws in the comfort of your workshop, rather than while wriggling about under the car!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
All you'll disturb is the toe setting.

One of these will enable you to set it up again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gunson-G4008-...14&_trkparms=72:1689|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Failing that, or even in conjunction with that, if you take off a track rod with the track rod end in place, and set a sash cramp just to nip it, you'll be able to transfer your track rod end, and set up the new one against the sash cramp jaws in the comfort of your workshop, rather than while wriggling about under the car!

Should not one allow a little for the wear that has taken place. when using OE parts and there is a lock nut on the rod, I just back off the lock nut a quarter turn and fit the new end to the same point

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>and fit the new end to the same point

Yes, but, he's changing the track rod (and inner joint), NOT the track rod end.

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thankyou numbercruncher / malcolm for your attention. just ordered the track rods from mb "ciseley" preston, £35 + v. each, rubber gators £15+ v. each. how long do you think it will take for a good inde to do the job? i can then decide if i am going to do the job. herbiemercman.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
I would expect to see something of the order of an hour's labour for doing the job, and then something similar (depending upon if they just do tracking, or also check caster/camber) for checking and setting the front wheel alignment.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom