Steering/Wheels

Ant Brit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 ML280
Hi all,
Just a bit of advice as I can’t get into a garage until after the bank holiday weekend.
Got into the W164 this morning and the steering feels ‘different’. It’s slightly heavier, and there is a slight squeak coming from one of the wheels.
I drove on the motorway, and when I stopped, there was a smell like burning rubber that seemed to be coming from the rear passenger side wheel?
Any ideas what this could be and should I stop driving it until I can get to a garage?
Thanks in advance - I’m no car expert I’m afraid!

Also - the check tyre tyre pressure warning came on - but the pressures are all fine?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Maybe handbrake pads sticking on a bit on the rear wheels , or a brake caliper sticking on . Maybe jack the car up and spin the wheels , see if they spin freely , or drive slowly see if there is a rubbing noise anywhere .....having someone walk next to the car may help them hear anything .
Maybe check the brake fluid level to see if it's correct ?
Check the insides of the tyres for any bulges caused by pothole damage ?
Just a couple of ideas , good luck anyway .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check the power steering fluid level as well ...just seen the bit about heavy steering . Any fluid leaks under the car anywhere ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all,
Just a bit of advice as I can’t get into a garage until after the bank holiday weekend.
Got into the W164 this morning and the steering feels ‘different’. It’s slightly heavier, and there is a slight squeak coming from one of the wheels.
I drove on the motorway, and when I stopped, there was a smell like burning rubber that seemed to be coming from the rear passenger side wheel?
Any ideas what this could be and should I stop driving it until I can get to a garage?
Thanks in advance - I’m no car expert I’m afraid!

Also - the check tyre tyre pressure warning came on - but the pressures are all fine?
What's the latest buddy ?

OP
Ant Brit

Ant Brit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 ML280
No leaks that I can see. I’ll have a play around later, but the squeak from the wheels seems worse today. Sounds like a brake squeak coming from the front, but the funny smell is coming from the back

SJMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 SL63
Sounds to me that you shouldn't drive that too far! Do any of the wheels feel hot at the hub? If so could be a bearing failed or the brakes locking. Are you able to jack each corner and rotate the wheels ok or are they stiff and binding?

OP
Ant Brit

Ant Brit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 ML280
Sounds to me that you shouldn't drive that too far! Do any of the wheels feel hot at the hub? If so could be a bearing failed or the brakes locking. Are you able to jack each corner and rotate the wheels ok or are they stiff and binding?
Actually yes, the passenger rear hub does seem to be hotter than the other wheels

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Actually yes, the passenger rear hub does seem to be hotter than the other wheels
You either have a stuck caliper, binding parking brake or failing rear wheel bearing. Get it seen to ASAP.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom