Stereo choice for W124

alex464

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E320 Coupe - 1994
Hello all.

I recently bought a lovely 1994 E320 Coupe which i am very, very happy with. I've wanted one ever since I sat in my Mum's when I was, sadly, much younger.

One small problem I have is that that stereo is broken, both a faulty head unit and a non-ejecting cd cassette in the boot. As such I've decided to replace the head unit with a new system.

Does anyone have any advice on what kind of unit would suit the car? I can't find anything that's not covered in flashing lights and totally out of keeping with the car. Ideally, I'd fit the original head unit if there was one with a cd slot, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Any advice or suggestions most welcome. As well as for vendors/fitters in London.

Thanks,

Alex

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate
Hello welcome to the forum:D if you have the removal keys for the existing head unit, then it is simply a case of sliding it out and disconnecting it via a black plug,
then most modern units will plug straight in,( you will see the plug when you slide the radio out.
If it doe's not have the same plug as your new radio then Halfords sell adaptors.

OP
A

alex464

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E320 Coupe - 1994
Thanks, Mark.

Looks like I'll be treating myself for Christmas then!

Alex

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
I'm not sure if these are single or double din units but If you want one that isn't covered in flashing coloured lights then look for one that matches the cars dash lights. I put the pioneer one out of my fto into the 202 but it just didn't suit the car so I bought a nice beat one that matches the dash lights and isn't as flashy as the pioneer. That's if it's a single din one but if it's a double then IIRC Halfords do a nice Clarion that's not too over the top and looks quite classy. In the end it's what you think look's good in the dash. I would look at getting one that takes S.D cards as thats gonna be the future in ICE. Iv'e got one in my car and Iv'e got about 500 tracks on one card and no damaging C.Ds.

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
i just bought a DAB digital radio for SWMBO W124 estate.

its £99 at Halfords (rrp £150) and comes with a windscreen DAB antenna.

The lights can be set to any colour to match the rest of the interior lights in the car.

No idea how good it is yet as its an xmas pressie and as such not fitted it yet.

There was a few nice "factory" style units in Halfords when i was there for under £200. Some looked really nice.

Last edited:

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
BEAT185.jpg

This is the single din one I put in mine. Work's well but isn't dab though but as I don't listen to the radio that much it doesn't bother me and only cost me £15 from a member of another forum. Came with a remote as well which I really can't see the point of.

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
N

npuk

Not saying to buy one from the USA, the link was just to show how their stereos look. Becker no longer make aftermarket car audio but you will find their UK models for sale on ebay etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Got to be Becker in an older Merc.

The OEM units were Becker, just look right. APS30 is a Traffic Pro.

They sound great too and have twin tuners (superb radio reception) and speed dependant volume.

This was my old S210 with a Traffic Pro High Speed in there.....
bury1.jpg

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
Other option is a Nakamichi CD300 or CD400 (this adds MP3) as these look very oem and sound sublime!!!!

Can set it to match the Merc yellow too.

nak4.jpg

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
I have a Sony unit in my W124. Its a bluetooth unit so I can stream from my iPhone for music and hands free calls. It looks reasonably 'OEM' as well. Who uses CD's these days!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do not forget that if you use a non becker/MB radio you may have to cut off pin 1 or the speed signal may get shorted out that controls the auto volume.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom