Stolen Comand

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I have a CD changer I've not tried if that works as yet, but I will once I get home. The iPod integration and bluetooth phone works. The E (up to 08/08 IIRC) has a separate DVD drive in the boot for the navigation disc so shouldn't need to be told it has one as it cannot work without it. Post 08/08 it switched to a hard drive based system so no boot DVD drive.

I had a call back from the dealers and was told that it is now working and just required a firmware upgrade to read the new disc as it was so much newer than my previous disc. I said as the Comand unit was new the age of my previous disc wasn't relevant. I also said that when I took the car in on Saturday I asked them to check that it had the correct firmware installed to read the new disc. They didn't which is why I've not been able to use the navigation.

If this disc is effectively an upgrade, it ought to offer you the chance to install the firmware from the disc when you insert it. This is straightforward and the system should then work correctly. Perhaps the chap who inserted the disc has not had to do a firmware upgrade before?

Probably worth removing the disc and starting again.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If this disc is effectively an upgrade, it ought to offer you the chance to install the firmware from the disc when you insert it. This is straightforward and the system should then work correctly. Perhaps the chap who inserted the disc has not had to do a firmware upgrade before?

Probably worth removing the disc and starting again.
The car came back to me without the disc, they ordered one and I picked it up on the way to the National Coal Mining Museum (a good day out IMHO) so was in the Caravelle rather than my E. I tried it when I arrived back home and followed the instructions in the sleeve but the display never said anything other to pls insert disc into the boot DVD unit. Which is why I called the dealers who asked me to take it back in on the Saturday, where they tried putting the disc in themselves then came out to me saying they had to strip the Comand unit back out and can I book it back in.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
I bought my APS 30 from there, and it came fully documented, traceable and kosher, through the registered post, from lithuania.

I did the same thing, great unit.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The car came back to me without the disc, they ordered one and I picked it up on the way to the National Coal Mining Museum (a good day out IMHO) so was in the Caravelle rather than my E. I tried it when I arrived back home and followed the instructions in the sleeve but the display never said anything other to pls insert disc into the boot DVD unit. Which is why I called the dealers who asked me to take it back in on the Saturday, where they tried putting the disc in themselves then came out to me saying they had to strip the Comand unit back out and can I book it back in.

Yes, sounds more fundamental.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I tried it today on my way in and all working again at last :) I've not noticed the updates as yet to the mapping as yet everything is the same as previous. I just have to put all my waypoints back in now :-( It's a pity that they cannot be backed up to a memory stick.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I tried it today on my way in and all working again at last

Dont worry you will learn the route eventually, and you will not have to bother with the comand:rolleyes:

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dont worry you will learn the route eventually, and you will not have to bother with the comand:rolleyes:
Whilst I drive many times to a lot of the places I visit I almost always use the navigation so that I know the arrival time as well having Dynamic routing enabled so that I can route around the car parks on the M1 & M62.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Whilst I drive many times to a lot of the places I visit I almost always use the navigation so that I know the arrival time as well having Dynamic routing enabled so that I can route around the car parks on the M1 & M62.

When you get old like me,it does not matter anymore ;):D

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It is also good as you don't approach each destination from the same direction each time - so Satnav takes all the strain out of finding your way there from wherever you are at the time.

As Dosco will tell you, I'm still a trainee! :Oops:

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Surely it's not as simple as just slotting a command unit into the dash of a Merc with out one ?
Almost, it depends upon the model a lot are just one unit and once fitted the car just needs setting up on Star so that it knows it has Comand. The 'E's and 'CLS's can be a bit more difficult as they need the correct wiring to the rear of the vehicle and the rear DVD drive but again it can be fitted. Alfie (of this parish) fits genuine Comand systems for a living.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Are COMAND units not security coded in any way?

djb

Reaction score
I spoke too soon :-( the navigation side of the Comand isn't working, it just asks for a disk to be installed in the boot. The light work and the disc spins up in the boot but the head unit cannot see it. I asked them last weekend to do a test on it to see if the head unit was connected to the boot unit. They said it all looked fine and they said they had done a "wireless" short test. I didn't know that my car could connect to star via wireless? I've only ever seen it connected under the dash. Anyone know if that is correct or was I fed a line?

I'm waiting for them to collect it at the moment and strip it back down.

dont know for MB but as an example DAF plug a wifi unit into the ob connector instead of a wire across the workshop floor.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom