Stop/start issues

c220Dixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 C220
I have a C220 2013 model Blue efficiency.
My stop start stopped working, so after a little research i replaced the cheaper smaller support battery in the boot first.
This did not get the stop start working.
My main AGM battery started to get a little slow in colder weather, so i bought a new recommended
Varta F21 Silver Dynamic AGM Car Battery: Type 115, from battery megastore.

after a couple of miles the start stop was working fine, happy days.
after a couple of days use it stopped working again.
The car starts and runs absolutely fine with no issues, just ECO stays yellow and no longer goes green to allow stop start to work.

I contacted Battery megastore who asked me if the battery has been coded to the car.
I cant find anything about this anywhere, as a believe it has an 'open system' which should allow fitting of non OEM batteries.

Any ideas please, its driving me nuts

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
If your just kicking about the doors your main battery will soon be in a charge state ,where stop start will no longer work.

The whole stop start thing is woeful tbh. Me like many others turn it off at every start up.

OP
C

c220Dixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 C220
Thanks for the prompt reply, I do appreciate that many just turn it off, I find it convenient when getting stuck in traffic, and having had the car for 6 years I have got used to it working.
When you say it will be in a charge state, what do you mean and is this a problem ?, Thanks

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Stop Strain was designed to fleece money out of the pockets of unsuspecting people .

Plus it will wear out your timing chain tensioner , starter motor , alternator and engine mounts quicker .

How many times am I going to read people have replaced both batteries at the cost of hundreds of £s in an attempted guess to fix an abomination that has too many prerequisites .

My 2011 main battery is still going and the auxiliary has been removed and earned me £30 and saved 5kg , now that's Eco...

Screenshot_20211207-084456_YouTube.jpg

20200923_182218.jpg

If you think that's a bit drastic you can always trial a SS disable by pulling the 7.5A fuse located here .

image_e42179bfd8155d6915f09cb20919ddc081231894.jpg

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I always give a new/replacement battery a top-up charge before fitting as you can never be sure what state the battery is in when you receive it it may have been sat on the shelf for 6 months. All batteries not in use require a top-up once a month. As regards Start/Stop I’m in the don’t use it camp as I see it there is no point in subjecting/stressing an engine with continual re-starting.
Always worth checking the state of a battery occasionally a healthy battery will read 12.6V and I would imagine that somewhere around <12.4V the parameters for Stop/Start to operate won’t be met

tpn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 OM651 2012, Daimler V8 250 X 3
My eco stop/start stopped working several days ago. I always switch off the start/stop, but I like to know why it is not working also.
It had a new main battery fitted six months ago. It was starting fine but diagnostics showed that it went down to 6.5V when cranking.

I put the battery on a tester and it showed a faulty cell.
Replacement AGM battery fitted and ECO Start/ Stop back in operation.

I have noticed that the auxiliary battery is showing 13.9V when the engine is not running. Any observations on this.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
On all my cars with start stop tech I always switched it off as part of my startup, seat belt on routine. I alway used to think, coming from a brisk drive to a stop, the last thing one needs is the engine switching itself off.

In the 221 that special feature button i have programmed to deactivate start/stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

c220Dixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 C220
I have given up investigating this further and accepted that i have become a non user of Stop/Start
I may need therapy- a shoulder to cry on - or maybe just several glasses of Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire.
Thanks for all the help and comments to help me get through this difficult time !
so long stop /start its been a pleasure................................not

OP
C

c220Dixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 C220
Stop Strain was designed to fleece money out of the pockets of unsuspecting people .

Plus it will wear out your timing chain tensioner , starter motor , alternator and engine mounts quicker .

How many times am I going to read people have replaced both batteries at the cost of hundreds of £s in an attempted guess to fix an abomination that has too many prerequisites .

My 2011 main battery is still going and the auxiliary has been removed and earned me £30 and saved 5kg , now that's Eco...

View attachment 77107

View attachment 77108

If you think that's a bit drastic you can always trial a SS disable by pulling the 7.5A fuse located here .

View attachment 77109
Thanks, and in reply to your rant about spending hundreds on batteries, my 10 year old battery was toast anyway, and saved £120 by not getting a Mercedes replacement, but i did take the £70 on the chin for the Aux battery :(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom