Stop Start kills cam chains

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
I'm not a great fan of stop/start, even though my car has it as standard.
As well as cam chains I suspect that there will be a spate of turbo failures on these cars.
Typical drive for me involves a long stint on the motorway, then three sets of lights 100 yards apart from the motorway exit slip road as I go home. I'm always mindful of that hot turbo having all of its cooling oil stopped as I get caught at all of those lights.
I remember the first diesel tractor engines fitted with turbos , and instructions explicitly said do not stop from high revs without idling for a certain time, so as to not starve the turbo of lubrication from it's very high revs.
As far as the petrol engines are concerned they may not need the starter in the stop start as said above, but there will still be the torque issues with timing chains and cams etc.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
yr right there. just disable it stop start that is. unless it has the accumulor on top of turbo to let oil out to the bearings after it stops. i never stop a turbo engine without a rundown period i determine that by how hard i have been driving,some time ago there used to be turbo timers for just that reason ,now they will say turbo design ,tolerances are such that its not rquired then yr looking a load of cash to replace it, or in my case THEM.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
So are you all saying Mercedes won’t have thought about this and factored it into the design of the system? Using beefier chains, cams etc?............ :rolleyes:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I remember the first diesel tractor engines fitted with turbos , and instructions explicitly said do not stop from high revs without idling for a certain time, so as to not starve the turbo of lubrication from it's very high revs.

This was to allow the bearings to cool down because we still used mineral oil (Castrol GTX and the like) and if the turbo was stopped while extremely hot, the oil in contact with the bearings could overheat and leave carbon deposits which would eventually block the oils passage. With modern fully synthetic oils like Mobil 1, this is no longer a big problem. When turbo engines started becoming popular in the 1980's, you might have seen only 75,000 miles before it needed replaced. Now with synthetic oils they can go on forever unless you are unlucky.

Russ

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I think its a combination of both introduction of single row timing chains, and stop start systems at the same time.

I would bet money that double row chains with stop start systems have fewer issues.

yup but they will likely get out of warranty before the issue comes up and double row probrably double price or close.

OP
B

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
So are you all saying Mercedes won’t have thought about this and factored it into the design of the system? Using beefier chains, cams etc?............ :rolleyes:

they'll certainly have done the maths.... and worked out a single row chain will definitely get a new engine paid for by the second owner... if they manage to make it just weak enough.

And will even have costed out the odd few they will end up having to pay out themselves when in warranty... but benefits will far outweigh with the extremely lucrative parts / engine sales they'll get

they probably have a nice little algorithm they can roll out to other parts - and that was probably included in the dev cost of stop start

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
they'll certainly have done the maths.... and worked out a single row chain will definitely get a new engine paid for by the second owner... if they manage to make it just weak enough.

And will even have costed out the odd few they will end up having to pay out themselves when in warranty... but benefits will far outweigh with the extremely lucrative parts / engine sales they'll get

they probably have a nice little algorithm they can roll out to other parts - and that was probably included in the dev cost of stop start
Just as every manufacturer will have done.

BMW cam chains anyone?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The other one I've turned off as well is the Lane Departure System, Which vibrates the steering wheel when a white line is crossed without an indicator being on. it is the most annoying thing ever and no doubt will cause premature wear to the steering column.. Now if only i could find a way of switching off the adaptive steering. It really feels soo unreal at motorway speeds, as if the steering is locked at times.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Okay now think about how much worse a hybrid is on the start stop system o_O:shock::rolleyes:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The other one I've turned off as well is the Lane Departure System, Which vibrates the steering wheel when a white line is crossed without an indicator being on. it is the most annoying thing ever and no doubt will cause premature wear to the steering column.. Now if only i could find a way of switching off the adaptive steering. It really feels soo unreal at motorway speeds, as if the steering is locked at times.
Lane departure, what a waste of money. I can see when i am drifting out of my lane, i dont need the car to tell me.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi

I don't think so and would think spare parts are a tiny part of a manufacturers turnover in comparison to new cars. And many parts are out sourced or are by alternative suppliers.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I hear you - I have that in the XC90, worse still it actually ‘gently’ tries to steer you back between the lines- it also has semi autonomous driving linked to this but I havent tried it, probably wont!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
For the first time I had 'Attention Assist' 'Take a break' come up on the dash, didn't think my driving was that bad, looks like I'll have to keep the 'Lane Assist' activated :(

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I don't think so and would think spare parts are a tiny part of a manufacturers turnover in comparison to new cars. And many parts are out sourced or are by alternative suppliers.
I think you would be very surprised

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The other one I've turned off as well is the Lane Departure System, Which vibrates the steering wheel when a white line is crossed without an indicator being on......

Does it do it when you're 'making progress' on a quiet A or B road & purposely cross the centre white line?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Does it do it when you're 'making progress' on a quiet A or B road & purposely cross the centre white line?
The road has to be lined, and yes it will if you cross the white line.. if only the centre is lined then only that line will show up on the dash... using the indicator will disable it as it knows you are overtaking. On none lined roads it wont show.
It probably would be good when overtaking the blonde in the sports car and the constant viewing in her direction causes the car to wander into her lane...or for her when she is doing her make up.

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I hear you - I have that in the XC90, worse still it actually ‘gently’ tries to steer you back between the lines- it also has semi autonomous driving linked to this but I havent tried it, probably wont!

Go on give it a try, these new fangled inventions and contraptions are the gentle way of easing the newer generation of drivers into a world where if things go wrong they will be completely lost.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
For the first time I had 'Attention Assist' 'Take a break' come up on the dash, didn't think my driving was that bad, looks like I'll have to keep the 'Lane Assist' activated :(
I sometimes do get the feeling I'm being told off for lane wandering... It's my fav sport whilst driving

MarkF

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi
Very interesting read chaps.
My R class and C class do not have this feature.
The company golf has covered 275K in 5 years without any issues, I wonder how much of thisnisndown to the fact that even in any type of traffic the first thing I do is switch stop/start off.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom