Stop start not working

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Hi all.

I've noticed the stop start on my 2014 E Class 220d has stopped working. I am aware there are "many variables which need to be satisfied" before it operates and the word "ECO" is constantly amber on the dashboard - I believe this has to be green before all the "variables" are correct.

I do my fair share of short journeys but have also done at least two two-hour motorway round trips in the last week in the hope that the battery would recharge (if that was the issue), DPF would regenerate etc etc but there's been no change to symptoms.

The car was in MB for a full service three weeks ago so presumably any error codes/battery problems would have been picked up then? I've got the ME adaptor installed and that suggests battery voltage is currently 14.7v

I also know many people will think I am fortunate and they wish theirs would stop working but I want the car to work as designed (and that's without getting into the debate about saving fuel at standstill and lessening emissions in town etc).

Is this a sign that the battery is about to die, for example? Is there a way of resetting the system?

Any suggestions to cure the problem appreciated please.

OP
Altamar

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Thanks John. Would there be any other symptoms i.e. would anything else stop working? Would there be an error message showing on the dash?

Thanks.

Mike

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks John. Would there be any other symptoms i.e. would anything else stop working? Would there be an error message showing on the dash?

Thanks.

Mike
The only message is the stopstart display has a line through it denoting it’s not available

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ this, on the way to failure though Mercs can behave strangely when the aux battery is on its way to oblivion

spenttherent

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Eclass estate 2008

Thanks.

Mike

When the aux battery failed on mine the brake hold also stopped working along with the stop start

OP
Altamar

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
The only message is the stopstart display has a line through it denoting it’s not available
Ok, thanks, I don't have that currently - only indication is that the word ECO is constantly amber (not crossed through) and SS has stopped operating.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Ok, thanks, I don't have that currently - only indication is that the word ECO is constantly amber (not crossed through) and SS has stopped operating.
Amber is the same, denotes not functioning

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
It could be either battery, if same or similar to mine which I suspect it is, the engine start from the ignition switch, is powered by your main battery, the Stop/Start function by the Stop/Start battery in the boot. The voltage reading you have quoted of 14.7v I suspect was when your engine was running, providing a charging output from your alternator giving you the misleading elevated charging voltage reading, for the battery voltage measurement the engine must be stopped, expect anything diminishing from <12.6v the closer you get to 12.0 the more you will risk problems developing, mine has been @ 12.2v all winter and has performed perfectly well so far, but I am expecting problems to appear any time.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I fitted a new battery as it failed at 7 years, Start/Stop hadn’t worked for the last two years or so, new battery solved the Start/Stop and interior light problem the car had developed. In my case the Stop/Start is disabled from start-up as that is my preference. If you decide to fit a new battery Varta or Bosch are best.

As already said 12.6V (engine turned off) denotes a healthy battery anything lower especially as it approaches a 12.2V charge will start to affect the cars electrical system

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
When this happened on my 2015 E350CDi, it turned out to be the stop/start battery which is a small battery tucked under the dashboard (not to be confused with either the starting battery or the consumer/aux battery). This apparently controls the restart function. It was replaced under warranty.

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
I have a 2014 E Class. Eco was taking longer and longer to go green which isn't a bad thing. Only realised when I forget to turn off!
Few days ago I get the attached photo warning.
New aux battery and its green eco almost instantly.
I can only assume the battery has been gradually failing for 18 months or so, with such gradual failing so as not to be concerned.
May be worth testing it? Breakdown replaced mine. 2 minute job and they paid for the part as it was cheaper than 3 days car hire. Battery cost them £47 from Merc but that is with their discount.

Attachments

• 20190523_193935.jpg
    20190523_193935.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 90

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Run a star test and it will give you the reason for it not working. Or you could guess.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i presume the owners hand book provides no info or help on this matter ?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
There’s a list on star that tells you why the Stop/start isn’t working. There’s about 10-15 requirements that need to be met from the drivers seat belt being plugged in to aux batt. Most common is aux batt but it’s not s given.

OP
Altamar

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Run a star test and it will give you the reason for it not working. Or you could guess.
Fair comment but it was in MB only three weeks ago for a major service so in my naivety I would have thought any issues would have shown up when they plugged it in to check for error codes. Maybe my next step should be to take it back to the dealer to ask why nothing showed up.

OP
Altamar

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
i presume the owners hand book provides no info or help on this matter ?
Only that the word ECO stays amber until all the necessary variables are satisfied, and then the word goes green and SS will operate.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom