Storage compartments back and centre and central locking not working

David Grennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc Sl 350 2005
Hi,

Just wondering if there’s anyone has had this problem with any SL’s ?

I can only get into my car with the key, same for unlocking the boot.
The lights flash when I depress the key for lock and unlock but nothing happens?

Saw on-line about fuses in the storage compartment in the rear behind drivers seat, but this and the cd multi changer are also both locked , along with the centre console. Won’t open and don’t want to force.
Roof is working fine.

Would really appreciate any advice anyone may have or knowledge of similar problems.

There are two Merc service dealers near me, but neither would / could look at the car till mid Sept ! As so busy .. and then will charge 135 for a 1 hr check. Seems a lot if it’s a fuse !

Thanks a lot,
Dave

2005 , Sl 350

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Failed PSE pump.
Check in the boot under the roof pump. The PSE pump sits in a foam enclosure which often gets soaked if there is any water leaking into boot.

You can disconnect the air lines to the pump and blow/suck on them to release locks.

OP
D

David Grennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc Sl 350 2005
Failed PSE pump.
Check in the boot under the roof pump. The PSE pump sits in a foam enclosure which often gets soaked if there is any water leaking into boot.

You can disconnect the air lines to the pump and blow/suck on them to release locks.
Hi,
Thanks for that, did a bit more google and saw the pump could be the problem, was hoping wasn’t as only new one 4 years ago, when it went then locking problem was gradual over a few weeks, car doors wouldn’t open and this time instantly, just stopped.
Think I was hoping wasn’t the pump and a fuse.

So if I do that as you said, will unlock the storage compartments, but do you think probably still a new pump needed ?
Have seen a lot of dam in the boot at times.
Thanks,
Dave

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes +1 as above, the boot should be 100% dry, if not the pse pump will fail in short order!

OP
D

David Grennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc Sl 350 2005
Yes +1 as above, the boot should be 100% dry, if not the pse pump will fail in short order!
Hi,
Thanks, appreciate that, looking like the pump so, not a cheep replacement unfortunately.
Do you know are they possible to fix?
Thanks

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Hi,
Thanks, appreciate that, looking like the pump so, not a cheep replacement unfortunately.
Do you know are they possible to fix?
Thanks

They can be fixed but it's dependent on the damage.

If it's just the motor then they can be replaced. If the PCB is water damaged, it's not likely to be repairable.

OP
D

David Grennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc Sl 350 2005
They can be fixed but it's dependent on the damage.

If it's just the motor then they can be replaced. If the PCB is water damaged, it's not likely to be repairable.
Ok thanks, suppose I’ll just leave into Merc garage and see what they say so or / and look out for a replacement on line.
Cheers,

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok thanks, suppose I’ll just leave into Merc garage and see what they say so or / and look out for a replacement on line.
Cheers,
Depending where you are we may be able to suggest a good independent (such as Alex above). Labour costs will be far cheaper than a dealer and our recommended indys are often better at resolving issues than the dealers.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^this David, especially on ‘older’ models as main dealers are frankly only interested in up to 6 year old service plan related cars generally, so train on those and lose interest and skills in the good stuff!
Bread and butter for the indies though

OP
D

David Grennan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc Sl 350 2005
Hi,
Thanks for all the reply’s.
That all makes sense and better with local mechanic. Have a great guy who looks after most times for service etc. But away for weeks.

My priority at the moment is getting the centre console etc open, so will try that blowing on airlines into pump see if locks open.
Will have a look online for a bit of help on that one.

Any other ways to open locks inside ?Is there any kind of master unlock switch or anything similar?

Had to force open the petrol cap today as also locked.
Don’t want to do that with others!
Will then start looking on line for a 2nd hand pump.
Best,
Dave

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
You haven't actually said if you have checked the fuse - if it's blown it will be sign of something else, but at least it gets you going. Pull the drivers seat forward - there is a "leather" covered area behind it. Put in a big screwdriver at the top & it pulls out (it is there for this very reason). Look in - there will be a yellow fuse about mid way - using a pair of needle point pliers you can pull it out.

caitscar

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500/2005/V8
Did Dave ever solve the locked compartment issue? I'm having the same problem.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom