Storing my mercedes over winter.

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
Hi I wish to store my mercedes w202 over winter in my garage and was wondering the best way to go about it,the garage doesn't have electric in it so I can't trickle charge the battery,is it best do disconnect the battery and leave the boot open so I can refit it when needed,I was thinking of buying a coverzone cover for it,would it be a good idea to leave a window slightly open to let air circulate around inside,and do I wash it/polish it before storing.any help or tips would be greatly received.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Winter? jeeze Summer has only just started

OP
J

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
I know just thinking ahead.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I stored a car over the last winter...in an unheated garage...with no special preparation. Though I do have a Ctek charger...and that restored the battery to perfect health after. Just leave a window or two slightly open in the car.

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
And do make sure there are no mice in the garage. They love nothing better than to make a cosy home in your pride and joy, whilst chewing through various soft parts and wiring to pass the time! I would put a few traps around the floor if there is any chance vermin might get in.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
When you say over winter, How long are you talking about?

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Dampness is the biggest problem where I live in winter, even in the garage. Things start going rusty very quickly and leaving any windows open is a no no.

BachelorDays

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 w210 E240 91k (Nov13)
I'd agree on not leaving the windows open.

Take the battery off, it won't last more than a month or two and then can cause harm as the voltage drops. Fill up the tyres to their max (stated on the tyre normally). Fill up the tank - some say that'll help stop corrosion inside. Others say don't fill it up because petrol goes bad after a while. I've had a car (not MB) parked for just over a year - started first time, petrol was fine. I park the MBs for 6+ months with a full tank and never an issue on petrol.

The biggest problem is rust. And our MBs love it. So that'll always give you trouble, regardless. I wouldn't wash it just before (2-3 days before is better, since it'll give it the opportunity to get rid of all the moisture before being parked up).

Ensure the battery is fully charged when you want to start it up again.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom