Strange happenings with a prospective purchase !!

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Hi all. Well after endless searching for an SLK 230 or an SLK 320 I have located 2003 example only a few miles from my home.
It is a 64,000 mile example with a service history albeit not terrible well looked after in the tyre department and a small amount of paintwork will be needed on one wing and the boot lid at the position of the three pointed star and around the number plate light.

The real issue is with the roof which appears to be suffering with an intermittent open/closing issue and at the same time the two door windows only function on the dedicated switches and are reluctant to complete the cycle when activating the closure switch.
Also the two quarter light windows intermittently stay down.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I can't offer much in the way of a diagnosis I'm afraid but l do wish you luck. It took me a long time to find my 230 and there are lots of rusty / faulty examples about. Luckily l eventually found a more or less mint example, at an appropriate price of course. My advice would be to be very wary of any problems with the roof opening & closing feature, including associated windows. If you're otherwise happy with this car, perhaps arrange with the seller to have a proper Star session at a good Merc independent before sale so that the problems can be properly diagnosed and / or rectified.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Hi all. Well after endless searching for an SLK 230 or an SLK 320 I have located 2003 example only a few miles from my home.
It is a 64,000 mile example with a service history albeit not terrible well looked after in the tyre department and a small amount of paintwork will be needed on one wing and the boot lid at the position of the three pointed star and around the number plate light.

The real issue is with the roof which appears to be suffering with an intermittent open/closing issue and at the same time the two door windows only function on the dedicated switches and are reluctant to complete the cycle when activating the closure switch.

I suppose if it's really cheap maybe worth it. I found this one for £2,250 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...=New&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&sort=sponsored&page=1

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
a small amount of paintwork will be needed on one wing and the boot lid at the position of the three pointed star and around the number plate light.

Check every wing, bonnet and all around the boot lid, they are really prone to rust

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

Unless you particularly want a project, I would look elsewhere. Roof and window problems could be minor but could involve replacing the roof pump. Only a Star diagnosis would reveal the problem and the likely cost.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It would be nice to have a link to the advert (if there is one)

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
Hi again all. As quite rightly pointed out there are sadly many rust buckets out there but with a 'corrective coat of plastic' here and there.
This one - thank you Capra for the link - during my recent searches I had already found this one and the MOT history reads relatively OK albeit the rear window issue could be a real chewy problem if it were to rain after collecting it and driving back home (some 195 miles) AutoTrader do not use mileage recorders and show it as 190 miles from where I am in West Lancashire.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...=New&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&sort=sponsored&page=1
The car is in a difficult place to get to from where I live should I decide to purchase it;and it could turn into a 6hr drive very easily.

I have located a very tidy looking SLK 230 Auto in what looks like Pewter Silver that has been declared as a Cat N with 60,000 miles on the clock and supported by the MoT History.
I am going to view it later today.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Be wary of the 4 cylinder engines. If it's an M111 all well and good (oil leaks into wiring harness notwithstanding) but the M271 engine can be problematic due to cam chain sprockets made from Brie.
Check first start of the day. If it's very noisy then the sprockets need attention.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
The rust you see is not the rust that matters, so much as the rust underneath.

Some SLK's (170 series) have MAJOR rust on the undersides. There is a structural crossmember (literally, in the form of a X) which sometimes rusts away like a colander. Before buying any SLK, especially one with observable body rust, get the undersides checked out thoroughly, or you could end up with major structural problems.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Be wary of the 4 cylinder engines. If it's an M111 all well and good (oil leaks into wiring harness notwithstanding) but the M271 engine can be problematic due to cam chain sprockets made from Brie.
Check first start of the day. If it's very noisy then the sprockets need attention.
Mmmmm…. brie...

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi again to you all. Well I have been and viewed/test driven the car that I mentioned earlier (listed as an 04 car but with a 53 plate).
The car is showing 59,700 miles and drives rather well;my offer was accepted and I will be collecting it early in the week once the insurance is in place. and I have taxed the car.
There was nothing that I could detect that would put me off purchasing the car albeit I will need to talk with a Insurance Company or two about the Cat N although the V5c is still in the name of the previous owner having been purchased from the previous insurer with front bumper damage and no other repairs being needed.
The car is listed as 3 previous owners and the MoT on the 22nd Feb 2019 showing a FAIL with a nearside STOP lamp not working;there were no advisories the previous year.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These cars do drive really well, l find. I hope you'll be as pleased with it as l am with mine. Good luck sorting the bumper and roof / window mechanism.

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These cars do drive really well, l find. I hope you'll be as pleased with it as l am with mine. Good luck sorting the bumper and roof / window mechanism.

Hi Graham. I think you have missed my latest post !!
I have found an alternative which is a repaired Cat N car in what looks like Pewter Silver Metallic as per my posts #7 & #11.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I have found an alternative which is a repaired Cat N car in what looks like Pewter Silver Metallic as per my posts #7 & #11.
Excellent , let's have some pics when you get the new car :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi and welcome to the forum :) Hope all goes well with your new acquisition. Keep us in touch with the progress you make with the car and a few pictures would be nice :)

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry, l missed that bit.
Anyway glad you've got one you're happy with. Like I've said, great cars.

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Excellent , let's have some pics when you get the new car :D

Hi and welcome to the forum :) Hope all goes well with your new acquisition. Keep us in touch with the progress you make with the car and a few pictures would be nice :)

Will do chaps. I actually joined an MB SLK forum a few years ago but changed over to this one in April 2018 (actually on the 1st).
I had become quite disillusioned with what I had actually been and seen albeit the sellers really did need a seriously early appointment with an optician and then a friendly psychiatrist about not telling bare faced lies.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Will do chaps. I actually joined an MB SLK forum a few years ago but changed over to this one in April 2018 (actually on the 1st).
I had become quite disillusioned with what I had actually been and seen albeit the sellers really did need a seriously early appointment with an optician and then a friendly psychiatrist about not telling bare faced lies.
Hope it all goes well, post some pics when you can and welcome to the forum.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
If your insurance bolt at the category N, change to another insurer as it means absolutely diddly squat and they can't not ask for more money because of the cat ;)
I'm quite partial to an SLK.......Actually I'm quite partial to Mercedes :rolleyes:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom