Strange one- Windows going down on their own...

tineehinee

Reaction score
Between Leslie and Falkland, Fife, Scotland
Your Mercedes
1999 Mercedes A160 Elegance
Afternoon, we have an A Class 160 Elegance and quite suddenly when we woke up one morning all 4 power windows had gone down on their own!

Thinkin' mistakenly we left them down (unliklely as we're into the Scottish cold and rain) we put them up (although the driver's syde front would not go up!) only to walk away and down they wnet again.

We're not looking forward to the big dealership repair bill so I figure I'll start here first.

Any help, direction or other would be greatly appreciated...

Attachments

• SCOTTY STEVIE HEAD- CROPPED MO- 1A'.jpg
    SCOTTY STEVIE HEAD- CROPPED MO- 1A'.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 3

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum,,The A class is not my line, but I think that you have water in a controller or SAM

OP
T

tineehinee

Reaction score
Between Leslie and Falkland, Fife, Scotland
Your Mercedes
1999 Mercedes A160 Elegance
Thanks Malcom... it's a four door. I heard the rear right clicking but then again the front drivers syde does not go up. After awhile their all down now and won't respond!

I moved it in the garage- do you think once it dried out (if ever!) it may become operable gain?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Lets bring this to the top of the pipe again and see what others think

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
My son has a SEAT Leon & one morning he went out to find both front windows were halfway down, only ever did it once though and has been OK since, no idea what causes this?

Russ

Stomper

Reaction score
Not sure if its the same on M.B. cars but I know on my brothers V.W. if you hold down the open button on the remote control fob all four windows open.
Conversely if you hold the lock button then all four close.
He only found this out when he accidentally placed something on his key fob.
When your fault occurred did you notice if your doors were unlocked.
Malcolm would probably be the best one to answer you as to if the fobs can fail in the 'transmit' mode.
May be barking up the wrong tree but something to think about.

MB-Car-Tech

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C 230K - SOLD now running E320T CDI
This soundslike the typical Interior Body CAN fault. Malcolm had suggested previously.

The motors for the windows do get moisture in them like other models and this causes electrical circuit mayhem. Also common to this A class is the switch panel in the centre that is one assembly for all window switches.

They get fluid spillage on them and same thing occurs (I'm sure you would know if you had spilt fluid on there and you would have mentioned this)

So would have to go with my earlier thought of one of the windows causing a CAN communication error.

Diagnostics with the STAR would help (fault read) as there is live data in the LCP (window switch panel) that will read the actual Body CAN status. - Hopefully read an actual fault on the High CAn or the Low CAN.

There are voltage tests you can do on the circuit as well.

It really needs someone who knows what they are doing and has seen this happen before.

I have isolated one window wiring at a time to eventually locate the culprit.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom