Strange rattling noise under C200 W203

ionod55555

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a strange rattling noise under my car that sounds like a loose clamp or similar. It can be heard when going over humps or slightly uneven road surface. I also have another strange noise from the rear that sounds like bouncing noise of a spring, again when going over humps.
Lastly, does anybody know of a good indie in the Chiswick area.

Can anybody help.

Thanks and regards

ionod55555

C

C180 Chris

I have this on my S320, general opinion seems to be that its the Anti roll bar bushes, or drop links.
Also may be worth checking the wheel bearing on that side as i think that mine is adding to the clatter over bumps.

Hope this helps, others will be along soon with more advice!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The exhaust heat shields are known to come loose causing a rattle

OP
I

ionod55555

Reaction score
Rattling Noise W203

Just to add to my thread,
The strange noise only seemed to have developed after using the hand brake last Thursday!!!! Would anything have come adrift? I don't normally use the hand brake at all and Thursday was probably the first time in approx 2 months.

I don't know if that helps pinpoint the noise.

OP
I

ionod55555

Reaction score
Strange rattling noise

Just returned back from Kwik Fit after having A/C de-bac. While there I had a good look underneath for the rattling noise but found nothing. Bushes all seem ok, so does the springs, exhaust baffles and handbrake linkage. Wheel bearing don't seem to have any strange rumblings or play.

Any other suggestions where I could look or if somebody in the Chiswick area can have a look for me please.

Regards,

ionod55555

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just reading the post again I know what the problem is.

On that V6 the cats come loose in the bottom boxes, it happened to me and many others, they are expensive, so many of us cut open the bottom boxes and remove the CAT and weld up.
They still pass the MOT as they have upper cats as well

Andrew23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E280 Elegance saloon
..."I also have another strange noise from the rear that sounds like bouncing noise of a spring, again when going over humps."
ionod55555

Hi.
I recently had a strange springy boing on the rear - turned out to be broken springs. Aparrently (so I read somewhere on this site) they often break towards the ends so it is not always obvious that they have actually broken. May be worth checking.

Cheers,

Andrew.

OP
I

ionod55555

Reaction score
Strange rattling noise

Thanks for that Television and Andrew. The more I listen the more it sounds like a loose clamp or something, comes and goes but is always there when going over humps. When on the ramp, i bounced it up and down but no noise!! As soon as I drive off it starts when I get to any uneven surface.
My car is a 4cylinder by the way, would the same apply to the cat?

Will soon be pulling the remainder of my hair out if this keeps on. Don't really want to go to MB main dealers but might have to if it continues.

Regards

ionod55555

Last edited:
OP
I

ionod55555

Reaction score
Strange rattling noise

Took car for a long drive today and the strange rattling noise is coming from rear. Folded the rear seat down and the rattling noise increased. No obvious items in the boot that could cause it that I can see.
The hunt continues!!!

Regards,

ionod55555

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could it be a loose baffle in the exhaust

Reaction score
I had the anti-roll bar thingy on the front suspension and it sounded like it was coming from the back of the car. Had MB change them (not very expensive) and it went away.

I also had the "other" rattle that Malcom mentioned, the cat one. That was VERY expensive. Even Kwik Fit wanted over £2000.00 to fix it. In the end I bought a cat from www.cats2go.co.uk for about £150.00 and the local garage fitted it for about £50.00, so it can be done cheap(ish).

However, if it's only on lumpy roads (the cat was pretty much constant when the engine warmed up. Blip the throttle and you'll hear it rattle as the revs die down), then it sounds like these drop-link, anti-roll bar thingies on the front suspension. It is a VERY common problem on the C-Class but pretty cheap and easy to fix.

OP
I

ionod55555

Reaction score
Having new springs and shocks fitted tomorrow, will have drop arms etc checked at same time. They were replaced last year however by MB of Epsom amongst other items. Went out over the weekend with 5 people in the car, rattling noise stopped for a day or two after but has returned again. It sometimes sounds like the shield around the disc caliper rattling but checked them yesterday. I don't know where else to look. It's not from the exhaust as tried reving engine, tried shaking the exhaust pipe, even tapped it along it's length for rattles but nothing. Emptied boot of everything inc spare wheel and still get the same noise.

rapidly going mad!!!!!!

britnordic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 SLK 200 & 2013 E Class 220
I know just how you feel!
Posted a similar thing happening to my C203 Estate, rattle came for a day or 2 then left!!
Turned out to be a broken spring (common fault on C203) break was hidden in housing so couldn't be seen, but MOT mentioned springs looked low, so got my local Indie to replace (thanks JiB!).
All silent now.

OP
I

ionod55555

Reaction score
Strange rattling noise

Had new springs and shocks fitted at Kwik Fit yesterday and all strange noises have gone and car handles better.

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions related to the post.

Happy and less stressed

ionod55555

GSM1

Reaction score
Springs and shocks on mercs should come from the main dealer only, they are very specific to the model, classic, avantgarde etc.
i had mine done and there was many variations from the dealer. Kwik fit will have used eurocar parts or a similar factor

OP
I

ionod55555

Reaction score
Shocks and Springs

Hi GSM1,

When I went to Kwikfit, I went through all the variations they had, the list was endless. We finally found the right ones after supplying them with all car details. They have at least 2 years guarantee on both, so any problems and I will be straight back there. I probably would have changed cars by the time the guarantee expires anyway.

Regards

ionod55555

cozymerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 190e Peugeot Coupe and Chrysler Grand Voyager.
Brake pads clatering against the brake disc try braking slightly when driving over rough surface to see if the noise stops handbrake cable may be tight reducing the distance between brake pad and disc get under neath and tug on the hand brake cable to losen it.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom