1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in 'P' & warning lights on

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by DavePrentice, Nov 8, 2012.

1. DavePrentice

DavePrentice Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    C230K 2002
    Have a 52 Plate C230. The warning lights for SRS, ESP & BRS came on & the autobox stuck in 'P' mode - although the AA mechanic showed me how to release this manually using a screwdriver! Although I have a great indy mechanic, he advised I book it into a Merc Dealer for code settings etc.
    Must confess (no names) I have been astounded their incompetence and indifference. They are suggesting fault is (maybe?) with ECU and have been quoted £1450 for a new unit - although that may not solve the problem and the final bill could be over £2000. My indie has called them requesting details of the brake unit switch and when he gave them his credentials as a mechanic, calls were not returned back as promised. He doesnt think the ECU is the problem here and any advice would be much appreciated.
    Love my Merc, but would NEVER go near a main dealer again.

Heard it could be a switch under the brake pedal, but the main dealer never head of it.

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Just re read and seen SRS so could be EIS or SAM it will all come up on a STAR test

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. OP
    DavePrentice

Your Mercedes:
    C230K 2002
    Brake light switch?

Apparently the main Merc dealer doesnt have that part on the list!
    Do you know a part number?

4. Cole@MBS

Cole@MBS Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    124 300 CE 24 Coupe, 209 240 CLK
    At a guess A001 545 2109.

I think it goona be a lot more than the switch!!! more like a SAM fault seing as the SRS light is on as well as the others...

5. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
    Probably not even got a brake light switch anyway, and as Colin says, a lot more than just a brake pedal switch.

6. OP
    DavePrentice

Your Mercedes:
    C230K 2002
    Sam unit

Yres, apparently my model doesnt have a brake pedal switich & probably its the SAM unit.Thanks for all those who helped.....much appreciated.