Stuck in Park resolved but a question...

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
My CL500 was sticking in Park and eventually locked there completely. A common issue it seems caused either by a faulty brake pedal switch or by the failure of a small plastic part in the shifter. Mine was the plastic bit in the shifter. Looking at approx £500 +VAT (+ several hours labour) to replace the shifter I decided to go the DIY route.

Long story involving ordering the wrong plastic part so ended up just removing the metal arm in the shifter that is moved by the solenoid when you step on the brake pedal. All works fine now but it means that there is no longer the need to step on the brake to shift out of Park, the shifter can be moved whenever you feel like it, ignition off or on.

I have no problem with that but am wondering if there may be an issue with legality/MOT?

Last edited:

davidsw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XKR ,Jaguar S-Type, Porsche Boxster S
Don't think there is a MOT or legal issue just a safety one !!!!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Not an Mot issue, just safety and possible an Insurance issue as its a theft deterrent part due to there being no steering lock.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
if you have kids in the car (or dog etc) and they move it out of park it could roll away ... in any accident I think you would be liable and not covered by your insurer as you have modified the vehicle. My advice would be fix it properly.

There is a metal part available from some place in Oz - details are on the firum somewhere if you search it...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Don't think there is a MOT or legal issue just a safety one !!!!

It's only in recent years that you've had to have your foot on the pedal to shift your car from Park. My Senator used to be like it as standard

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
and every merc up to the early-facelift 124

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Am I the only person that wonders why Mercedes have such a weird parking brake? I always have to stop and think what I am doing when I get in and out of our car on the rare occasions that I drive it. Much prefer the normal handbrake :Oops:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Am I the only person that wonders why Mercedes have such a weird parking brake? I always have to stop and think what I am doing when I get in and out of our car on the rare occasions that I drive it. Much prefer the normal handbrake :Oops:

It moves it out of the way from the centre of the car, most Mercs are auto & most auto drivers rarely use the hand/parking brake anyway. Merc's parking brake isn't that dissimilar to the 'umbrella handle' type from years gone by.

OP
T

tim091

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2001
Thanks for all the replies. I shall give some thought to doing the job "properly", if I can face stripping out that console again!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom